View Poll Results: What tablet will you buy?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nook Tablet

9 5.66%
  • Amazon Fire

36 22.64%
  • I-pad

88 55.35%
  • Other

26 16.35%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gibson View Post
    I voted other. I probably won't get either I prefer actual books for a couple reasons. 1. Looking around they are often cheaper than the electronic version and 2. After I finish it I can pass it on to someone else who would like it.
    Have to disagree on that to a point..... My wife has gotten so many free books (hundreds) on Amazon, its more that paid for the price i paid for her Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Have to disagree on that to a point..... My wife has gotten so many free books (hundreds) on Amazon, its more that paid for the price i paid for her Kindle.
    I was looking today for some books on American History. I noticed a bunch FREE on Kindle but $10-$12 for a paperback.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I was looking today for some books on American History. I noticed a bunch FREE on Kindle but $10-$12 for a paperback.
    That list changes too. Whats free today, might not be tomorrow. Likewise, what costs today might be free tomorrow. You can also share books to other Kindle users if it's allowed for that title.

Bump back to top.

Anyone get a Fire or Nook for Christmas and care to give an opinion.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Bump back to top.

Anyone get a Fire or Nook for Christmas and care to give an opinion.
    I received a Fire for Christmas. We also have an iPad 2. I MUCH prefer the iPad. I did a little web surfing on the Fire Christmas day but haven't picked it up other than that so I really don't know yet about books. I'm an avid reader so I'll end up at some point getting some. If it is just for reading, the Fire is fine. Basically I find it to be worthless for much of anything else.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I got the Fire for Christmas.

In my past not so good experiences with 2 Ipods - I have decided that I don't like apple products.

I have no past experience with any portable things of this sort, but I did get a kindle reader for my wife last year.

In my opinion, the Fire is GREAT - I love it.

It has 5 gig memory, and 5 gig cloud. Drawback to cloud - you need to have internet access.

I think a HUGE plus for the Fire would be the ability to use some sort of additional memory card.
    I would LOVE to be able to use a 8 gig SD card, like in my camera.

I got a Fire, it is back in the mail to Amazon. My wife has an iPad and LOVES it, rarely touches her laptop now. For $200 I figured I might use the Fire for some casual browsing and to read books, a TON of older books are free and I read a lot of older philosophy. I played with it for 3 days and realized it was not for me. Too small and set up like too much of a gateway to buy Amazon products. I sent it back. If I decide to get a pad of any sort I will get an iPad, I use my wife's on occasion and it seems like a better solution for me. If I only wanted to read books on it it would be fine but the size killed it for me for anything else. I am not an Apple lover, far from it but the iPhone and iPad are incredible products and though not perfect they are better than the alternatives even at a higher price point.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Not will buy, bought two for Christmas for LOML and son. I couldn't see spending 150% more on the entry-level ipad when the fire does everything they want.

If I decide to go with a full-blown tablet PC, it'll be an Android, the apps are free.

I'd be more inclined to get the Kindle Fire. Amazon has a whole lot of products and services that dovetail nicely with tablets. Barnes and Noble is a lot more narrowly focused in my opinion.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I have an iPad and it's perfect for my tablet needs. I also own a "regular" Kindle and it's perfect for what I bought it for. Neither device is an ideal replacement for the other. That said, if I were buying either the Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet, I'd opt for the Kindle. I feel more comfortable with Amazon for a long term relationship. But I'm not enamored with the Android OS. yes, it has tremendous potential, but the Android "ecosystem" is so fragmented because of hardware incompatibilities, too many manufacturers customizations and lack of "upgrade roadmap" for most devices, that it feels too risky for me. That hasn't been the case with iOS and remains a major plus for Apple, whether you "like" them or not.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For a reader, I really love the kobo. Reasonably priced, and no DRM.
    Paul

I like them all. My wife prefers the Kindle Fire. It fits easily in her purse, she says it is just the right size for her.

My 16 YO daughter prefers the iPad. She prefers the apps on the iPad.

I prefer a notebook. I can't stand fingerprints on my screen.

My wonderful mother bought my brother and myself Fire's for Christmas. For my brothers birthday last year his family bought him a I pad. Having used his I pad about as much as my fire for the money the fire is a heck of a bargain. I talked to my brother on the phone the other day and he say he prefers his Fire over his I pad because of the size and he likes the the content that Amazon offers for the fire.

I like the Fire's silk browser. It is as fast as the browser on my laptop and renders websites very well. It streams video effortlessly and the screen quality is quite good. The touch sceen sensitivity is as good as my brothers I pad. The wifi works very well and I have not had a problem connecting to any wifi I have tried yet. I do not want a 3G device as I do not need any more bills. For me the cost of ownership is quit a bit less on the Fire vs a 3G I Pad. You can use other content and aps from other providers other than Amazon you just have to go to the device settings and allow this to occur. If I did not need any specialty business applications on a vacation I could take the fire and keep up with my basic business and personal needs that I currently use my laptop for.

I am sure that the I pad is a better unit overall but it is also 2+ times the price.

Alan

I feel there are two issues here that need to be looked at...

First the E-Readers.... Nook / Kindle.....
    The basic e-reader is the first part it is made for reading The nook has the Kindle hands down the both have their proprietary files but they both handle PDFs so most books can be gotten in the library for free or other site in the format you need. Secondly the nook with only Wifi will take a charge and last 30 + days no other reader comes close so that made the decision on the reader for us nook hands down.

Second the Tablets Nook Color / Kindle Color and all other tablets....
    Nook and Kindle and pretty much all other tablets are out of the game still apple has it hands down currently and the Nook or the Kindle are E-Readers with up grades not even close. There are some new tablets no Apple that are suppose to be fantastic coming out or just released....

So decide what yo want and then buy it but know the limitaions and what you expect out of the item you buy.

just my .02
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Voted none of the above. Just bought a Viewsonic GTablet used on ebay for $200, rooted it and loaded a Honeycomb ROM. great 10" tablet for the $$. The best part is that it has USB host capability, which means you can attach other devices to the tablet- I bought a cheap wireless keyboard and mouse for $10, plugged in the mini USB receiver, propped the tablet up and have a fully functional mini notebook with full size keyboard and mouse for browsing and content creation. It also has a faster dual core processor than a Ipad and more ram. More onboard memory than a basic ipad, with a microSD card slot. Only down side is the screen doesn't have as good viewing angle as the ipad.

As far as e-readers go, I think the best option right now is a refurbished Nook Color from B&N for $150. slower than a Nook Tablet for Kindle Fire, but if you are buying a tablet in this size range, your primary usage would be reading and some web surfing, which it is more than capable of. If you want speed, you can root it with a ROM to reliably overclock the 800Mhz CPU to 1.1Ghz. The OS is streamlined enough that even at 800Mhz, video works fine on it, though.

The only other thing to consider is if you want an eInk screen. This would be b&w, so only good for reading, but from what I understand it's far crisper, easier to read and better for your eyes on long reading sessions.

-Michael