Thread: Mike Wenzloff - Wenzloff & Sons hand saws

Blog Entries

Mike Wenzloff - Wenzloff & Sons hand saws

I talked to Mike about an order today and discovered why they have been backed up. Apparently Mike has been dealing with a series of heart related health challenges. I understand he has had surgery or procedures done that have slowed him down over this period. Apparently Lee Valley had a bunch of back orders for their saws and placed extra orders with them in the middle of Mike's health issues which they got done with recently. Just thought I would let everyone know to be patient. I backed off on my second order for a few days to give them a breather.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-30-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks for the heads up on Mike's situation. I'll keep him and his family in prayer. This has to be quite stressful and especially at this time of the year. I have a couple of his saws and they are truly wonderful to use.

Jim

Just so you know, there is no such thing as a "small heart attack". Believe me, I've had my share. It is definately a life changing experience. I still go to bed every night wondering if I will get up in the morning.
    Happy Holidays...Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Just thought I would let everyone know as Mike has apparently kept the subject to himself.
    Please say you asked him first if you can post about it on internet.

Blog Entries
    I did not mean to imply that I had reason to believe Mike was trying to suppress this news. I got the impression Mike felt he had a minor health issue until recently. I had talked to Mike a couple times before he mentioned it. I was trying to find out why items that I thought were in stock had not shipped for several weeks. I have no cardiovascular expertise and I did not press Mike for details so I do not actually know what the situation is. I'm not sure Mike, or even his doctors, understand the full story yet. The only reason I am posting this is I know Wenzloff got backed up on orders during this period and I hope others will realize the need for a little patience, I have mentioned Wenzloff's saws and saw kits in quite a few posts lately and I was just hoping to save Mike a few calls regarding back orders.

6. I hope Mike gets well soon.

If I would depend on selling saws, I wouldn't want people to stop orders, when times are hard.

Cheers
    Pedder

He sure does make good stuff, I have two of his dovetail saws and love them both...any idea on who best to sharpen them given to situation with his health?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    (snip)
    Apparently Lee Valley had a bunch of back orders for their saws and placed extra orders with them in the middle of Mike's health issues. Just thought I would let everyone know to be patient. I backed off on my second order for a few days to give them a breather.
    Hi -

I'm sorry to hear about this - our last orders were March and June, so it must be quite serious if he's still under the weather.

Hope he's better soon!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Frontera dela Cruz View Post
    He sure does make good stuff, I have two of his dovetail saws and love them both...any idea on who best to sharpen them given to situation with his health?
    Well, I'd say you're the best option.

But if you want to have someone else sharpen them, check in with Mike. It might be someone else (one of the sons?) who sharpens knives such that they have no backlog for that. I'd imagine everyone who works there can competently sharpen and set a dovetail saw very quickly.

Mike works awfully cheap and is awfully giving of his knowledge if you have a question. Hopefully everything turns out OK in the long run.

Blog Entries
    I certainly do not want to prevent anyone from making orders with Mike, quite the contrary, just a little more patience maybe. I just put off making another order until the one he was working on shipped as I was concerned about the second order putting the first one on shipping hold. Mike does everything he can to help people out and I thought he might try to combine my orders to save shipping cost instead of shipping the items in the first order. I need some files in my first order. I am concerned about Mike but I know his sons are picking up the slack. They just sharpened a new saw blade for me and I am about to order two more blades with sharpening. Mike seems to be playing secretary lately which is actually kinda nice. I just think old fart, wood loving geeks need to help each other out.