Thread: Incra router insert in Sawstop 36 in extension table

Incra router insert in Sawstop 36 in extension table

Hi all,

I have a question on how to put the incra aluminum router insert plate into my 36in sawstop extension table.

The insert measures 9 1/4 in by 11 3/4 in and the space between the two support pieces under the extension table is about 11 1/2 in wide.

Is it ok to make the opening cut into these support pieces? Did anyone use this insert in their sawstop?

Any advice or pix would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed

If you can center the cutout between the two support ribs you will only be removing 1/8” from each rib. I can’t see how that would hurt a thing. I would just not route the ribs any deeper than necessary.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Why not just put it in sideways? That's what I did with my insert.

FWIW, I wouldn't cut into the supports at all. In fact, I would add more supports. You will be surprised just how much your table will sag over time once you put a heavy router in it.

I have the same size plate in my SS's extension table, but I don't remember having an issue with the supports - they were close to the opening but still spaced 12 or 12.5" from it. I'll have a look when I get home.

thanks all -

Victor - I'm interested in knowing the spacing in your table - thanks!

I installed the same size plate in my extension, I think I left about 3/4" to 1" all the way around for the plate to sit on, but as already has been said you only route about 1/8" into the top so you won't cut into the supports.
    .163_6355.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Popiel View Post
    thanks all -

Victor - I'm interested in knowing the spacing in your table - thanks!
    Actually it's the same as yours (11-3/4"), but the supports don't come into play because of the lip you will leave, as Mike mentions. My through-hole is only about 9.75" wide, with a 1" ledge all the way around (and more at two opposite corners) to support the plate. The table surface is more than 1/2" thick so you don't get to the supports.

I haven't put an router into my SS extension table, but I agree with John- you'll probably want to put a better support structure under there. John, if I remember correctly, you did this on your SS right?

If I were you, I'd take the extension table off the saw, remove all of the support pieces, and put straight, dry, jointed hardwood ribbing in. At least on my saw, the support structure is made out of very soft pine.

My first router table was two pieces of 3/4" MDF face glued. It was flat when I built it, but a year later the router caused the table to sag by nearly 1/8" in the middle. So unless you're using a trim router in the table, I'd reinforce that sucker.