Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: File envy...

File envy...

...is not a condition from which I suffer. This thing looks more like a curved tooth float than a file. It's an old Nicholson that was given to me in a bucket of other rusty things. It needs a little more cleaning, but for now, it's just scaring the crap out of everything in my shop. Any opinions on what this type of file (float?) is truly meant for? Still very sharp, and very useable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

I believe Nicholson calls this a Flat Standard file; other manufacturers call it a Vixen. They were first used in the auto body business but they work great on wood.

i have one just like that, it leaves a surprisingly smooth finish.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

They are sometimes (and I do) referred to as milled tooth files, Vixen was a predominant maker. I think they might also be used on plastics, but can't quite recall. I've got one and love the surface and speed at which it cuts.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I feel like I've seen George mention using something like that for shaping brass (could be mistaking). Hopefully, he'll read this. He's likely to know exactly what it is and what it can be used for.

Hi Mark -

These were called Lead Floats - used to shape soft metals...think manual milling..

If you google "Lead Float File" you'll find more information.....

Cheers -

Rob

It looks very similar to my memory of a horse hoof file that a blacksmith uses before adding metal shoes.

David Turner

I have a vixen about that size. I found one in a machinst's booth in an antique mall - actually, there was a box of about 30 of them for $1 each, NOS.

I still haven't found anything to use it on, but I have cut my fingers a couple of times moving it around.

Vixen files were heavily used in the patternmaking trade. I have a number of them obtained from the crib as I needed them. (ah yes!, the joys of having someone else pay for your tools. Tools from the crib were charged to the job at hand.)
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Back in my airplane building days, I used those to work aluminum. You can use it on wood like a float but it can be a bit grabby. If you like that on wood, you'd love the Iwasakis

Rob has it right: They are lead floats. They will chatter very quickly on wood. I HAVE some Nicholson SUPER SHEAR files which are somewhat similar,but cut like crazy. They have OFFSET curved teeth,with teeth that are broken up by grooves cut diagonally down the length of the file. I got a Simonds file of identical design from Travers Tool co. several years ago. I do not know if Nicholson still makes them. Be prepared to pay at least $35.00 for a medium size one,though. I WARN you: never buy the 8"(or so) smaller model they made. They are never sharp for some reason. I've had 2 or 3 and they are never sharp like the larger ones.

The Super Shear files can build up a chatter,too,but with their offset teeth,a small change in filing angle every few strokes quickly eliminates the chatter,and they do cut like mad,even on metal. I have used them on large silver items. I would not use them on steel,but brass and silver cut like crazy. They have few teeth compared to a regular file,and they will dull,so I wouldn't use them on hard metals.

I thought I remembered seeing this more recent than almost three years ago. There are some 12" super shears on ebay (US made - but about half of what george mentioned above) and I got one in the mail yesterday. It's definitely a lot easier to use than the vixen and leaves a smoother surface, presume similar to the iwasaki, but twice as big and half the price.

Like everything else, there won't be any more new US made versions.

(just found a 10" version for half again as much as the 12, but no indication of origin).
    Last edited by David Weaver; 08-20-2013 at 8:10 AM.

Man...sure could have used one of these filing all that brass this weekend!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I sent a message to the Ebay seller and can confirm that the 10" Super Shears currently on Ebay for $7 are NOS Made in USA. I ordered one so that leaves 9 left for the rest of ya'll. I also ordered one of 12" that are going for like $17. I figure I'll use one for wood and the other on the rare occasion I need to file a soft metal.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    I got mine.

Glad I checked in here this morning.

Thanks David.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)