Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: File envy...

Everything bahco or sandvik that I've ever gotten my hands on has been at least as good as a contemporary us made nicholson version.

I got a little carried away when I read this late the other night and bought one of the 12s despite not really needing one for anything. I haven't tried too hard, but it does not seem likely to cut my skin unless I do something really stupid (which has been known to happen).

I tried it out on some small pieces of red oak and pecan I'm working on, and though it's much too big for what I'm doing, my impression is that it needs a big surface (of wood) to be useful. It is too grabby for delicate work, but seems like it will work quite nicely when you can put some muscle into it.

Yeah, you would have to bear down your grip or make a "lateral move" along the length of the teeth to cut your skin with it. It does get a grip, though. The 12" one is pretty big, definitely not for small delicate work. There is an 8" version, but I didn't see them cheap. It can only be a matter of time before some NOS ones show up on ebay, though, and not in the pack of 10 or whatever it is that they are selling them as now.

Hi Guys, Update that may or may not be news to some of you (I think Chris mentioned about the Iwasaki). This weekend, I obtained a 10" Iwasaki that seems to be based on the Nicholson Super Shear pattern (nothing new under the sun?). The Iwasaki is sharp enough to cut a finger, if one were careless and it leaves a finish similar to the Nicholson but cuts faster than the couple that I ordered from eBay, though a little more expensive, if the Iwasaki last, I think they are worth the extra money.