Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D to 2D slices

3D to 2D slices

I am trying to create 3D objects with my laser engraver. Since the engraver can cut a 2D shape with a uniform thickness I can stack these layers on top of one another to recreate the 3D part (not perfect, but for prototyping and proof of concept would work great). I am trying to take a 3D model and slice it into vertical layers. These layers would be uniform in thickness based on the material used. For example 3mm baltic birch plywood. Does anyone have any experience doing this sort of thing? I use Autodesk Inventor to make the 3D model, I can export to STL or other file.
    60W GCC Spirit GX
    Inventor 2011
    Corel Draw x5
    Indiana

One of Vectric's programs does this - vcarve pro maybe?

Gary

Edit: I checked their website, it's Cut3D - $299
    Last edited by Gary Hair; 11-30-2011 at 2:22 PM.

I thought STL files were describing stacked layers anyway - that is how the original STL machines worked, by building up layer on layer.

I have seen a few slicing utilities in the past, but they were always too expensive just for playing with, so I gave up. Too long ago to remember what they were.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

You can import the STL into SketchUp (using a free plugin) then slice the model into layers (using another free plugin) and then export the faces of each slice as an SVG (yup, another free plugin).

STL importer: jf_stl_importer.rb
    Slice : SliceModeler.rb(for slicing in two planes) or Slice43.rb (for slicing in one plane)
    SVG Export: FlightsOfIdeas

Also useful;

STL/DXF exporter: skp_to_dxf.rb
    Gear creator: gear.3.rb
    Unfolder: flattery
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 11-30-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wilkins View Post
    I am trying to create 3D objects with my laser engraver. Since the engraver can cut a 2D shape with a uniform thickness I can stack these layers on top of one another to recreate the 3D part (not perfect, but for prototyping and proof of concept would work great). I am trying to take a 3D model and slice it into vertical layers. These layers would be uniform in thickness based on the material used. For example 3mm baltic birch plywood. Does anyone have any experience doing this sort of thing? I use Autodesk Inventor to make the 3D model, I can export to STL or other file.
    ...you mean I am not the only crazy one out there? LOL Not sure what you are trying to build, but this was a monster project!
    Sculp-Tree-by-wall.jpgSculp-tree-overall.jpgSculp-tree-angled.jpg
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)

I am still trying to improve my method and am playing around with Rhino 3D with the grass hopper plugin.
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)

Okay, so it looks like there is really nothing that makes it easy I can actually do section views in a idw file from inventor, but this takes a lot of time as well. I think this might be easier than the proposed method though. Thanks for the thoughts.
    60W GCC Spirit GX
    Inventor 2011
    Corel Draw x5
    Indiana

In Inventor (assuming it is a lot like solidworks) you can define reference planes and take slices of each plane, convert the solid enties to sketches and export the sketches as dxf or stl files.

Depending on the CAM software you use, for example with MasterCam or AlphaCam, you can just use dynamic planes and contour around the solid at the plane. This would be the fastest and easiest way to deal with this. With MasterCam or AlphaCam you can then nest all those contours onto sheets of plywood.
    Grothouse Lumber Company
    Andi Stratus Pro, ILS12.150, Solidworks 2012, AutoCad 2012, MasterCam X6, Coreldraw X6

[QUOTE=Zsolt Paul;1818343]...you mean I am not the only crazy one out there? LOL Not sure what you are trying to build, but this was a monster project!

Paul, that's ambitious! Crazy, maybe, but impressive.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wilkins View Post
    Okay, so it looks like there is really nothing that makes it easy ...
    That depends on what you consider easy.

The Slicer43.rb plugin works pretty well. You enter the thickness and offset and a couple of other parameters (if you wish) then it will slice it up for you. It even lays out all the sliced pieces in one plane. It really only takes a couple minutes.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I just sintered powdered bronze on my YAG for the fist time tonight. It worked great. I have some solid washers in metal where it was just powder before. I'll need to see where this leads.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

[QUOTE=Dee Gallo;1818531]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsolt Paul View Post
    ...you mean I am not the only crazy one out there? LOL Not sure what you are trying to build, but this was a monster project! Paul, that's ambitious! Crazy, maybe, but impressive.
    Thank you Dee. Its not for everyone, but that coffee table has been a big hit with customers who are looking for rustic, yet elegant pieces. The shape is actually based on a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Boone View Post
    I just sintered powdered bronze on my YAG for the fist time tonight. It worked great. I have some solid washers in metal where it was just powder before. I'll need to see where this leads.
    I am not trying to hijack the thread here but could you put up more information on sintering? I have never heard of it before but it sounds like a very usefull process.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

This is incredible and really impressive. What a trip it is to see such a great use of technology to produce art.
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5

Sintering is melting small beads of material together to create a solid. Many of the 3D rapid prototyping technologies use this to build solid metal or plastic parts. Check out bathsheba.com to see some of the more radical artistic uses for it. There are commercial places like shapeways.com where you can email a CAD solid model and get back a physical part, either in plastic or metal. It was just really fun to try it and have it work at home. It takes a lot of power density to actually melt the metal like that. I love any variations of the technology. Cardboard lamination is a great process available to anyone with a laser.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings