Thread: Inlay of CLAY.... Oven Cured Clay I say...

Inlay of CLAY.... Oven Cured Clay I say...

Interesting post over on the CarveWright Forum tonight that I had never seen but wanted to share here....

V Carved on I am betting something like Corian then color filled with with this clay then baked in a oven then sanded flush.... Interesting concept.... Similar to Corian Glue.... Worth a look if you do Coasters and the likes.....

AL

"Sold under the trade names of Fimo Clay or Sculpty and available in a generous range of colors, upon baking @ 230 for 30 minutes, it becomes quite hard. From there is is a simple matter of sanding the excess off. I had to admit, it looked great!

I found both products at Hobby Lobby and Micheals, in the craft sections. Used the Fimo clay, which was $1.25 for a block app .5" x 2" x 2"

Inexpensive and produced the "inlaid" look.

just my $.02

keninar"
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Blog Entries
    Sounds interesting... wouldn't mind seeing a pic or two of finished projects.

Just be aware that Sculpty shrinks quite a bit when fired in the oven... a good 10-20%, so don't expect wide pieces to stay as wide. Definitely want to see pics if they did something wide...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Sounds interesting... wouldn't mind seeing a pic or two of finished projects.

Just be aware that Sculpty shrinks quite a bit when fired in the oven... a good 10-20%, so don't expect wide pieces to stay as wide. Definitely want to see pics if they did something wide...
    You're right, Dan. Fimo is not supposed to shrink as much, though. Even so, any shrinkage would be a problem. I, too would like to see some pics.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I have been doing inlays with polymer clay in pens for a couple of years. No shrinkage but then they are fine lines. Wider stuff may shrink. I engrave, fill, then put them back on the lathe to finish sand. Works real good.

The Engraving Etc Thread has some good stuff plus you can Sublimate Print the stuff....

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Sculpey actually only shrinks about 2%.