Thread: Question about ice cream scoops...

Question about ice cream scoops...

Hi all,
    I am planning on making some ice cream scoops this year for Christmas gifts. As I am looking at various suppliers I am a liitle disappointed. The all seen to have the same design. The head part is screwed or glued into the handle. This seems like a bad idea to me as ice cream can be very hard. Do any of you know if anyone makes a scoop where the center is drilled out and reinforced with a rod or tube?

Thanks!
    Jenn

I have made many & use some at home. I got mine from Craft Supplies & used epoxy to glue in the metal. It is tough and can dig out very very cold (20-30 below zero) ice cream. don't worry about it!!

I made several of the Craft Supply ice cream scoops last year for Christmas. We are still using ours and my sister using her's with no problems. I gave around 8 away and have had no complaints.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great! Thanks!

+2 on the CSUSA scoops. They take a beating!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I have the Rockler scoop (seemed simpler than some of the PSI scoops). I epoxied it into a beautiful piece of cocobolo - I left the cocobolo at least 1-1/2" in diameter. It has handled the hardest of ice-cream with NO problem. Looking forward to making my next one with the rest of the cocobolo - different design.
    Dan Christensen
    Council Bluffs, IA

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    You might consider adding a flange near the scoop end because one of the actions required to dig in to cold, hard ice cream is pushing. Just a thought. I've made about a dozen of these and have secured the scoop with two-part epoxy. Don't use anything water-soluable because these things will be put into dishwater sooner or later.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    +2 on the CSUSA scoops. They take a beating!
    +3 on the CSUSA scoops.

"The best things in life are not things."

I have used the Rockler scoops which work well (they are the ones designed by Alan Lacer). T he only problem that I have is the leading edge of the scoops are very blunt and don't work well in hard frozen ice cream. The brass ones can be hand worked to "sharpen" the leading edge, but the plated ones obviously can't be sharpened without ruining the plating.

I found a much better solution -- Oxo brand ice cream scoops. They have a sharp enough edge to easily dig into hard ice cream and I think that the shape is ideal for scooping. The plastic handle can be broken fairly easily to remove them using a large hammer. The shank has a slightly oval cross section, but that should not pose a big obstacle. They can be found at kitchenware stores and department stores like Target.
    Bill

I've been looking at the Oxo scoop as well, but I'm wondering what might be used as a ferrule that would look good.