Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to invest in Japanese Bench Chisles

Want to invest in Japanese Bench Chisles

After seeing everyone raving about the higher grade chisels I'm getting tired of my cheapy blue marples and want to invest in a few higher quality chisels. I'm leaning towards Japanese chisels and am looking at the lines at Hidatools since they are having a 10% discount. I've heard really good things about the Fujihiro brand but wanted to know if I'm getting that much better of a chisel than Hida's housebrand or even the Masashinge brand. Are these chisles the right place to start or should I look elsewhere?

I can't speak to a comparison, but I just love my Fujihiro chisels. They are just great. The only downside to them is that their price has gone up quite a bit over the past few years due to the tanking dollar/yen exchange rate, so they are no longer as much of a bargain. They used to be price competitive with Lie-Nielsen chisels. Now they are about $8-10 more per chisel.

Having said that, knowing what I know now, I'd buy them all over again even at today's prices. And with the current 10% sale, the price is pretty close to what they were selling for a few years ago.

I'm also a big fan of Fujihiro chisels, they've been my working set for years and years.

For practical use, I've not seen much of a difference between all of my chisels. I don't generally have any that are really cheap aside from a few oddballs (like a 1.5mm cheap chisel). I have some mokume iyorois, which are a bit better than their dime store chisels, but they aren't quite as hard as some of my small-maker's chisels - one of which fujihiro (they are still harder than western chisels, though). In the end, between the two, I think I'd rather use the iyorois because they sharpen like a dream due to their backing material and still hold an edge very well (which apparently isn't always true in dime store japanese chisels). I guess what I'm saying is I would not opt for iyoroi chisels over fujihiro or other well respected small-volume makers in most cases, these are just from a batch that is made with more care than their usuals, and while they were relatively cheap when I got them, they aren't in general.

I've only been dissatisfied with two brands, one because the edge holding for its price and sharpenability isn't what I want, and another because the fit and finish isn't what it should've been for the price. If they come up, I'll point them out to you in a PM, but if not, there's no reason for me to pop the manufacturer with a permanent mark on this board - maybe it's just my chisels. Even the ones I don't like are decent chisels and hold a better sharp edge than any western chisels I have, there's just no reason to go there, though, because there are better for approximately the same price.

Before you decide to go entirely to japanese chisels, which you'll probably want to sharpen entirely by hand unless you have a wet grinder with a large stone (shallow hollow), buy one in a size you use a lot and use it. I spend more time sharpening my japanese bench chisels than western bench chisels when all is said and done, even if they hold an edge twice as long, and they don't have the reach of a western bench chisel, so if you really use your bench chisels as a do-all, keep them around in case you need the reach.

All of that said, and since you know fujihiro/imai are good chisels, I would stick with a maker someone on here recommends. The two that I can recommend in plain chisels right off the top of my head are the fujihiro/imai and the koyama-ichi (make sure the "ichi" is there if you're browsing, there is a big difference if it's missing). You know where to get fujihiro, and the sale takes a little sting out of the exchange rate. Stu Tierney carries koyama-ichi chisels, and LV carries their dovetail chisels (just something to remember, as they won't do you any good as bench chisels).

Ouchi chisels also have a great reputation, but I haven't seen them anywhere other than premium tool sellers, which adds unnecessarily to their cost. Stu- will we see those any time soon?
    Last edited by David Weaver; 12-02-2011 at 9:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

Ouchi chisels also have a great reputation...
    Well deserved, IMO. They're apparently very popular among working carpenters in Japan. No frills, no cosmetic embellishments, just very well-made workhorses.

I generally don't like buying sets of tools (or kitchen equipment, etc.), but I've used every chisel in the 10 pc. Ouichi (Oouichi, Ouchi, etc.) set I bought from a carpenter I worked with when he went back home. This was in 1980-81 and I got them for $100, a bargain even then, I think; he'd used them for only a few months. I put a ton of work on them over many years and was never disappointed.

I have no idea where you'd buy them, though.

Iida has a set for...

... sit down.

$1430 shipped here.

When I was looking around for chisels, I could get a set of 10 ouchi bench chisels for $800. I didn't, fujibato dumped my user set of mokume chisels with a paulownia box for $600 shipped. Maybe they are seconds, I don't know. They are not quite as tidy as the guys who make the show-bling chisels (these with white oak instead of ebony http://japantool-iida.com/chisel_bench/index_3.html), but they are almost magically easy sharpening and still reasonably hard. I would be disappointed with them for $1200 (assuming the ebony costs $200 or so above a white oak handle with the pith in the middle).

What has happened with the ouchi chisels is probably a combination of name recognition and the dollar vs. the yen, maybe in equal parts vs. when I looked at them.

No matter. I didn't need a whole set, and haven't used all of them, and there are still nicely priced good chisels like the fujihiro that can be gotten singly.

Justin,
    I have both Fujihiro and Masashige brand bench chisels from Hida and have been quite happy with them. My preference would be for the Fujirio's, but its purely subjective because I like the rough forged look of the rings. I can't comment on how either compare to Hida's house brand, but will say that the Folks at Hida really know their products and never sold me anything that I later regretted. If you do decide to go with Japanese style chisels make sure you follow Hida's recommendations for securing the ring at the top of the handle. A loose ring is a real distraction.

Good luck.

Ouchi chisels also have a great reputation, but I haven't seen them anywhere other than premium tool sellers, which adds unnecessarily to their cost. Stu- will we see those any time soon?
    New year on Ouchi. You can't believe how happy he was when I put the 'hard word' on him. It's often a bit of a delicate thing approaching these guys, but Ouchi was a push over.

Nice guy, but my wife can't work him out.

I was trying desperately to stay OUT of this thread, because of the seriously obvious blatant economic interest.

(Nice to know who your friends are, thank Dave. )

Jason,

There is a bit of a 'glass ceiling' when it comes to Japanese chisels. Once you get through that, you're usually very safe and the difference between them all is fit and finish, bling, cost and related to the $$$, reputation.

Below that level (and price is not a perfect indicator) and the chisels can be very good. They can be good enough that many users will have no trouble with them. But because there's a corner cut somewhere, the quality is usually where the cost-cutting rears it's ugly head. Edge won't last long enough, chipping steel, poor lamination, cheaper handle/hoop, etc, etc. All the way down to the very cheap stuff, which again can be good enough that many won't be able to notice.

But I think many people actually do notice what a cheaper Japanese chisel is actually like. Ever heard that Japanese chisels are brittle? I've heard it often, and it's thrown around often enough that it must be true, right? Problem is that a good, proper Japanese chisel in white steel is ferociously tough. You can't use one hard enough to really hurt it, not without abusing it completely. At that level of abuse, nearly any chisel will have problems, doesn't matter where it was made or what it's made from, abuse the chisel and it's going to bite you back.

And there in lies the difference between a good chisel and a not so good chisel. Many folks might not be able to tell the difference, but it's nice knowing that the chisel you're using is not going to turn around and bite you if you push it a little harder than normal.

I'm not going to go into which brands are and are not 'at this better level'. Every time I do that, egos get hurt and it always gets ugly.

But if I were you, I'd opt for the Fujihiro. At least I've actually laid eyes on them in a proper tool store here in Japan. The Masashige, I've never seen. This is more likely because I'm in South West Japan, and those two are made up North.

(The Fujihiro were in amongst a sea of Ouchi and Koyamaichi.)

If you need more detailed information, send me a PM please. I can't write much more than what I have above without getting into trouble with the rules here, because I do sell Japanese chisels, and do have a vested interest. Maybe that interest is only making sure that you get good, honest chisels, but still I might be overly persuasive...

Stu.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Tierney View Post
    ...But I think many people actually do notice what a cheaper Japanese chisel is actually like. Ever heard that Japanese chisels are brittle? I've heard it often, and it's thrown around often enough that it must be true, right? Problem is that a good, proper Japanese chisel in white steel is ferociously tough. You can't use one hard enough to really hurt it, not without abusing it completely. At that level of abuse, nearly any chisel will have problems, doesn't matter where it was made or what it's made from, abuse the chisel and it's going to bite you back....
    Not much to disagree with here, generally speaking; however, there are the odd forging "variations" that allow a quality white steel chisel to snap, even when not abused. DAMHIKT

Jack

Jack,

That is true. And speaking for myself only, that chisel would be replaced if the fault was with the chisel and it was from someone where that kind of 'defect' should not be tolerated.

It happens, it has happened. I've got a chisel in Niigata right now being 'tweaked' that's to replace a damaged chisel. If the original was defective, then the maker will cover it. If not, I'll cover it myself and 'buy' the damaged one for my own personal use and amusement. It's one of a set of 'top shelf' chisels, and the owner of it understands that these things happen and placed no fault on the chisel but at the same time was surprised it became damaged with what he was doing with it. Who knows? Either way he's getting his chisel replaced without spending any more money.

After the horror story I've recently been privy to, I'm glad I'm taking the above path whenever it's needed.

(Which is rare! I've been very, very lucky with defective tools and even with shipping. I can count on one hand the number of defective tools, but need to borrow a couple fingers on the other to count the shipping dramas. Only one finger counts the number of lost packages though so I figure I'm doing ok.)

Stu.

Hi- I have a Masashinge long handled paring chisel that I bought from Hida and it is one of my 2 or 3 favorite chisels, right up there with Kuneiki chisels. It gets sharp and stays that way. That said, I also use the Fujihiro chisels from Hida and have been pleased with them (the one exception is a small width chisel that bent while mortising with it).
    -Howard

If you need more detailed information, send me a PM please. I can't write much more than what I have above without getting into trouble with the rules here, because I do sell Japanese chisels, and do have a vested interest.
    I don't sell anything, on the other hand, so I'd like to add this.

One of the reasons I went with Fujihiro chisels was that at the time they were the least expensive Japanese chisels that had no negative reviews from anyone. Stu sells a variety of chisels from Koyamaichi, and like the Fujihiros, I have never heard anyone say anything negative about these chisels, either. If I were in the market for Japanese chisels today, these would be on my short list. The only reason I don't have some of these is because when I was buying Japanese chisels, Stu wasn't in business at the time.

Iida has a set for...

... sit down.

$1430 shipped here.
    Yowza!!

That is true. And speaking for myself only, that chisel would be replaced if the fault was with the chisel and it was from someone where that kind of 'defect' should not be tolerated....
    Yeah, that's what I thought, too; but I bought several Genju Funahiro chisels from Hida on a trip to CA. The 15mm mortise broke (clean, like a fault line) first time I tried to use it, actually the first stroke. Sent it back to Hida, they agreed it was defective; and I proceeded to wait for a replacement for 6 months. Finally accepted a Fujihiro replacement, which I should have bought to begin with. Of course, never did buy any more Funahiro anything.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    ...One of the reasons I went with Fujihiro chisels was that at the time they were the least expensive Japanese chisels that had no negative reviews from anyone. Stu sells a variety of chisels from Koyamaichi, and like the Fujihiros, I have never heard anyone say anything negative about these chisels, either. If I were in the market for Japanese chisels today, these would be on my short list. The only reason I don't have some of these is because when I was buying Japanese chisels, Stu wasn't in business at the time.
    I agree that those two brands are very good, although I don't buy based on no negative reviews. I have to also say that Tasai are great chisels, although a little more difficult to find these days, have to go through a Japanese vendor (Tomohito Iida).

Jack