Thread: Furniture pricing help

Furniture pricing help

Hey everybody,I'm looking for some advice on what to charge for a couple of end tables. I am trying to turn my hobby into part (maybe full) time work but I dont know what is right to charge for them. How do you all price your work? I will probably try to sell them from a gallery my folks display some of their other work in. Where should I start in figuring out a price. Thanks.

What style of end tables? What kind of wood? What type of construction?

The style is kind of modern of my own design. I can upload some sketchup images or model when I get back to my computer (on my phone now). Solid wood construction of mahogany and sycamore with thru tenons and curved legs. The tables are about 26" high and 18" square. I was thinking of charging based on materials plus time but not sure what a good hourly rate is. Plus this is kind of an art piece more than it is a basic daily use table. I'm not trying to be too lofty about what I'm doing or anything just that it's targeting a different kind of consumer. And since this isn't a commission piece I don't know if that affects what you can expect to get for it. I'm planning on doing more of this kind of thing too so I will gladly accept pricing suggestions from others who have more experience.

Without seeing it its hard to suggest even a pricing strategy. It sound like you want to stick to the gallery market which is very different than retail. Go to galleries in the area and see where they are pricing similar pieces. Going with a cost + scheme is usually going to leave money on the table when it comes to gallery type furniture.

Don

If you're doing as a hobby and don't need the money, I'd base it on materials cost and use a labor rate for yourself you'd be happy with, and see what that number is. That's the price you'd like to get for it. Compare that to other pieces you find locally, and don't forget to figure in the commission the gallery would want - don't be surprised if the galleries want up to 50% commission to have your work sitting there.

If you're really considering going full time, do some searching here on SMC as the topic of going full time has been discussed many times. Lots to consider.

Blog Entries
    I'm building some A&C End Tables out of Honduran Mahogany and if I had to price them I don't think any one would buy them. I have about $200 of wood plus supplies in each one plus about 40 hours to build (if I did this full time I could probably reduce the hours but at 2-3 hours a whack...) so if I got $20/hr I would need to charge $1000 per table. Don't think I would have many takers but LOML gets them for nothing.

The Wood Whisperer has the method he uses in the FAQ.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/faq/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I'm building some A&C End Tables out of Honduran Mahogany and if I had to price them I don't think any one would buy them. I have about $200 of wood plus supplies in each one plus about 40 hours to build (if I did this full time I could probably reduce the hours but at 2-3 hours a whack...) so if I got $20/hr I would need to charge $1000 per table. Don't think I would have many takers but LOML gets them for nothing.
    I wouldnt under estimate what gallery furniture goes for and people buy it. You do have to be in the right area but its not hard to get well over a grand for a little end table.

Don

Jay-

I have worked for an outfit that made 18th century repros...not exactly the same as your build but a good reference. If memory serves our least expensive nightstand when I was there was around $400. A simple table with drawer. The more involved were closer to a $1000. These were very well bench made pieces, traditional joinery. This was 20 years ago. As another reference I now work in an unfinished furniture store where our best nightstands, unfinished, sell for $400. That is mass produced, not the best joinery...not the worst.

It can be hard to work up a price on your own design. You want it to sell but you don't want to shock the heck out of everyone and you want it's true value paid for. When I was in business for myself I would research what similar pieces went for in shops near me. With the internet what it is today you should be able to do similar research. There also should be some articles/books that deal with the subject. Don't forget that if you put them in a gallery the gallery is doing the selling. You will give them a commision and it is time you don't have to spend that many craftsman do.

Good luck,
    John