Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi! My name's Amanda

Hi! My name's Amanda

Just wanted to introduce myself... and post a few little projects of mine. I decided to take up woodworking not too long ago - another in my ever-growing collection of hobbies! I decided to join the forum of course for the learning opportunity and I suppose to see what kind of trouble my husband might be getting into on here... haha. (I've already found a few incriminating threads)

Anyway, I'm posting in the General category because I wanted to show some CNC and turning. I recently got a Shark Pro Plus and have really been enjoying learning Aspire. After a day or two of frustration, I finally decided to read the manual and it's been pretty smooth after that!

The Backyard Shade Craft plugs are my first paid job - a woodworker friend of mine wanted his logo carved into 3" plugs of different woods that he could then drill a hole and inlay into his pergolas and tables and such. The little round box is a 2" wide project I did out of scrap wood. The sailing sign (next post/attachment limit) was my first test-project piece on the CNC using one of the sample 3D files that comes with the software. The seahorse box was my second project on the CNC. I carved the whole box out of a large piece of butcher block just to be stubborn. I used an end mill to mill out the bottom half of the box, make the inside pocket and mill out the lid - then I flipped the butcher block over, and milled out the bottom, and milled the pocket for the inside of the lid and then cut the tabs and popped out the two halves of the box, add some magnets and a hinge and voila!

The last project here is a Russian style supported spindle for spinning yarn. This is going to be my white elephant gift for the holiday potluck at the weaver's guild. (I'm a business manager for a handweaving loom manufacturing company). I made the spindle and bowl on the lathe and then used the CNC to sign my name on the bottom.

Thanks for listening!
    Amanda
    Attached Images Attached Images

The rest of the pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Amanda, welcome to the Creek! Very nice work. I love the lines of your turned spindle.How do you like the Shark Pro? I have been looking at small table top CNC's for awhile.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Amanda, welcome and looking good on the projects. And does this mean your husband has to look for a new forum now as to not get himself in trouble...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Welcome Amanda! ....and beautiful work

Welcome Amanda! Very nice work.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Brimm View Post
    The rest of the pictures...
    Really digging this one... welcome to The Creek
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Welcome to the Creek Amanda and Very nice work you've done! If I may ask, what type of wood is the spindle made out of? Is that Walnut or an exotic?

Blog Entries
    Welcome to Sawmill Creek Amanda. It's a great forum.

PHM

Very nice work..... both the shaping and the finish.

Fantastic work there Amanda. Welcome to the forum
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

hi Amanda. Like your CNC work, LOVE your photography!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

THANK you everyone for the warm welcome!!

Amanda, welcome to the Creek! Very nice work. I love the lines of your turned spindle.How do you like the Shark Pro? I have been looking at small table top CNC's for awhile.
    Thanks Bruce! I don't have experience with other CNCs, but I am really enjoying the Shark. I was debating between it and the Carvewright C. I ended up choosing the Shark because I liked the t-clamp aluminum table for the flexibility in doing small as well as larger pieces. I like that it uses real G code and a standard router (standard bits). I'm not a big fan of proprietary products. I've heard some complaints about the user-friendliness of the software, but I consider myself to be very computer savvy and the manual is very good. Aspire is a good chunk of money over the cost of the machine, which only comes with VCarve, but for doing 3D or anything beside v-carving, I think it's a must. To me, the cost has been the only downside so far.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...CNC&highlight=

Amanda, welcome and looking good on the projects. And does this mean your husband has to look for a new forum now as to not get himself in trouble...
    Hi Richard! We'll see if we're able to play nice! I'm pretty sure I saw him call me a nut somewhere in here, lol!
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ale&highlight=

Really digging this one... welcome to The Creek
    Thanks Dan! This was a piece of scrap birch plywood that I found in the shop. It's a little hard to tell, but the sailboat is sitting inside a dished-out oval - that's where the stripes come from. I ended up trying to paint it because it came out sort of bland. I appreciate the compliment!

Welcome to the Creek Amanda and Very nice work you've done! If I may ask, what type of wood is the spindle made out of? Is that Walnut or an exotic?
    Hi Rob! Yes, the spindle is made of Black Walnut. That made it a perfect little project when I was looking for a gift idea to make. Walnut seemed to be a popular choice for the Russian spindles - I think it may have something to do with the weight of the wood. We'll see after January if the spindle works as advertised.
    hi Amanda. Like your CNC work, LOVE your photography!
    Thanks Mike! Dave and I actually used to have a little photography business years ago. It got harder and harder to make a living at it, so...

ETA: Forum link context...
    Last edited by Amanda Brimm; 12-02-2011 at 2:44 PM.

Hi Amanda. Welcome to the Creek. You'll definitely get alot of great info from all different experience levels of woodworkers on here. Super job on the project by the way!! Those look fantastic!

Hey, uh David. Ixnay ethay alktay aboutway atthay ewnay athelay...

Oh, and welcome, Amanda