Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help me save my marriage...

Please help me save my marriage...

I have a problem.

My shop is in my garage. It is not attached to the house. There are times that my wife needs to get my attention (All too often, by the way...but we'll save that little discussion for another time...).

Her "attention getter" of choice is to open the electric garage door. That scares the ever-lovin' heck out of me. So...we need something else.

I was thinking of some kind of strobe light thingy that could be remotely triggered. But, I don't even know if something like that is available.

Anyway...I need ideas.

Please.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-02-2011 at 5:50 PM.

Our signal is for her to flick the lights. That, or some version of it might work for you.

Jim

If you have cutters, blades, or bits spinning there is no safe way in my opinion. Since it's detached she won't know that. Could you use one of those remotes they make to turn on/off Christmas lights with a lamp plugged into it to alert you? You could plug in a lamp, strobe light, lava lamp, or whatever gets your attention.

Hmm... maybe one of those vibrating light-up pager things like how they have at restaurants?

My father has an unattached shop - he installed an intercom. Works like a charm. I (unfortunately) have an attached shop so my wife raps on the door / wall to get my attention.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

FRS radios. Set them in charging bases. If she needs you, she can send a call signal.
    Many wireless phones have the same feature.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You could easily set up a flashing light using a Radio Shack remote and a simple light base. It would also consume less power that the garage door.

One problem is you can't hear anything with machines going on and you won't see much either if your eyes are focused in one area.

My solution would be to buy one of those seasonal RF remotes to control an surge strip or something similar to control outdoor landscape lights. Home depot sells a GE model I think, and every mart and borg has some version of a wireless outdoor landscape/ lighting controller.

Buy one of these for $20 or less, then plug in a colored flood light that contrasts with your shops color. Red, blue, green etc...

When your wife wants your attention she can turn on that flood light from the other room. You'll notice the ambient light color change in the room, and it shouldn't interfere.

I tried the light idea, but I was not always pointed in the right direction. Now, I carry my cell phone on vibrate in my pocket. My wife calls. She gets my attention, and I get a good buzz out of it.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I tried the light idea, but I was not always pointed in the right direction. Now, I carry my cell phone on vibrate in my pocket. My wife calls. She gets my attention, and I get a good buzz out of it.
    Yeah, the cellphone idea is great. Unfortunately...we don't get signal where we live...

Blog Entries
    Tell her to make an appointment with you Harold, and otherwise, you know, leave you alone when you're in the shop.

Sure that would go over well.

PHM

A shock collar can be quite effective and the pro models have a good range. She can also use it when you are getting out of hand.

Alan

You just need to wear this necklace in the shop:

http://dogshocktrainingcollars.com/o...chargeable.php

;-)

How about using cell phones?
    Simple and adaptable.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    You can pick up a cordless phone with 2 handsets that has an intercom feature. I keep the 2nd handset in the shop. If the wife needs me she simply calls me on the intercom. If I am running a loud power tool I don't hear it until I turn off the tool(which is a good thing). This works well and does not startle me when I am running a dangerous power tool. Plus you have the added feature of having a phone in the shop.. Oh, wait, that is not a feature! My shop is over 100 ft from the house and it works great!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.