Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help me save my marriage...

A good use for your mother-in-law?

I used to have a detached shop with an extension of our house phone. Since my wife couldn't call our own phone, she would call her mother, have my MIL call the house, and let the phone ring until I picked up. If you think getting interrupted in the shop is bad, try getting interrupted by your mother-in-law EVERY TIME!

Man, I used to LOVE to just let that phone ring and ring. Of course, there is always a price to be paid...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    I used to have a detached shop with an extension of our house phone. Since my wife couldn't call our own phone, she would call her mother, have my MIL call the house, and let the phone ring until I picked up. If you think getting interrupted in the shop is bad, try getting interrupted by your mother-in-law EVERY TIME!

Man, I used to LOVE to just let that phone ring and ring. Of course, there is always a price to be paid...
    Whoa...

If my MIL called that would freak me out WAY more than the garage door.

(She passed away 12 years ago.)

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Exactly. I got extremely upset with my wife a couple of weeks ago because I was in the middle of doing something, and she started screaming to get my attention. She wasn't yelling at me but was just trying to be heard over a router and my cyclone. Scared the hell out of me, I almost destroyed my piece and I could have gotten hurt. And SHE could have gotten hurt.Afterwards, we tried to figure out a way to get my attention, and finally I just told her "If you hear machines going, stay out of the shop....period. Unless you're having a heart attack or the place is on fire AND it can't wait 10 seconds, just stay out". That's the only way. It's dangerous for both of us and there is really nothing that important unless it's life threatening.
    Ditto that. I took a class with a guy that was missing three finger because his wife came in to get his attention while he was on the jointer. I told my wife in a polite and loving way to stay the he double hockey sticks away from my shop door f the machines are on. Don't bother knocking, yelling, arm flailing. Just wait. They really don't like coming in second, but I really don't like surgery. There is no safe way to get a persons attention when that attention should be focused on the dangerous task of wood working. I keep my phone in my pocketon vibrate. I told her to send me a text, I'll feel the little shake, I'll get back to her at a convenient time.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Yeah, the cellphone idea is great. Unfortunately...we don't get signal where we live...
    Get a set of those cell phone looking two way radios. I think they have a low power standby mode that can goose you when the other other unit has a button pressed. Several mile range I think.

So I'm readin all (yes all) the replies. Are we talking about she needs your attention when she comes in the shop, or she needs your attention when she's outside the shop and you're in the shop?

Only way to get your attention in the shop is to wait for the tool to stop...don't matter how long it takes.

If she needs you to open a jar or smash a bug in the house, I'm thinking one of those wireless doorbells. She should have the button in the kitchen and you could rig the box anyway you wanted to in your shop. Not sure how loud they are, but even with ear protection and a machine going, should be able to hear something. I think they're pretty cheap too.

Do you listen to music in this shop? By a Sonos system that she can mute from a smartphone, computer or tablet. You need Internet or wifi in your shop.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Exactly. I got extremely upset with my wife a couple of weeks ago because I was in the middle of doing something, and she started screaming to get my attention. She wasn't yelling at me but was just trying to be heard over a router and my cyclone. Scared the hell out of me, I almost destroyed my piece and I could have gotten hurt. And SHE could have gotten hurt.

Afterwards, we tried to figure out a way to get my attention, and finally I just told her "If you hear machines going, stay out of the shop....period. Unless you're having a heart attack or the place is on fire AND it can't wait 10 seconds, just stay out". That's the only way. It's dangerous for both of us and there is really nothing that important unless it's life threatening.
    Had to have pretty much the same discussion with my wife. It seems as if they have a hard time grasping whats REALLY important. That useless bit of something they feel they have to tell you that moment, or keeping your fingers intact.

My solution is really simple and works well for us.

Remember those inexpensive "X10" remote control devices that send their signals over your electric lines?

I use a $15 transmitter http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/mc460.html and a $14 receiver http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/tm751.html to turn on a 250watt halogen light, aimed at the ceiling in my shop. I keep my shop fairly well lit but the extra light bounces off the ceiling, making the room suddenly appear about 10% brighter. This is enough to catch my attention without making me jump. The transmitter in the house is capable of controlling additional devices if I wish to add them at some time and additional remotes can be added if we some day want one in the shop.

What I like about the system is that it is very modular, so you can build it up over time... or not!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Wouldn't a cheap cell phone, set on vibrate work? Or a phone system with an built in intercom. Ours does that...not that we use it in a one bedroom apartment. Not too expensive either.

John

Great time of year for this go to your choice of Borg and buy a remote for christmass tree lights and enough colored lights to go all around the shop (led are cheap to run) this way any where you are in the shop if the christmass lights come on its eaither time to party or your wife needs your attention

My wife walks to my shop if she needs me...
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    My wife walks to my shop if she needs me...
    in snow 2 feet deep and uphill both ways

My shop is around 200 feet from my house, for communication we use a set of small hand radios. The ones we use cost around 50$ and have worked great for a few years. I keep the radio in my shirt pocket buttoned in so it won't fall out. I have been able to hear the call noise no matter which tool I am using.
    David B

[QUOTE=Brian W Evans;1819900]I used to have a detached shop with an extension of our house phone. Since my wife couldn't call our own phone, she would call her mother, have my MIL call the house, and let the phone ring until I picked up. QUOTE]

I used to have an extension in my shop. Just had SWMBO dial our 7-digit number and hang up when you get the busy signal. The phone will start ringing, when it quits ringing, then you know someone picked up.

unhook the mechanism from the door opener and when she uses the remote to open the door (which will not when the mechanism is disconnected) the light comes on. Then you know when she wants you and you don't jump out of your skin when the door opens.

EASY SIMPLE AND NO DIVORCE! and it don't cost anything. You could also screw a plug into the light socket on the door opener and use that to turn on a radio!
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...