Thread: Workbench Design and Build Help Needed!

Workbench Design and Build Help Needed!

OK. I'm about to start gathering wood and parts for a new workbench. I've decided to buy a top rather than build one, as it will save me a bit of time. Here are my choices: I can go to my local Sam's Club and purchase a 24" x 72" x 1.75" workbench with steel legs (later to be replaced by a traditional set of wooden ones) that I can use immediately for $200:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...od1490086#desc

problem is that the edges are all rounded, so I will need to cut them in order to square them up so that I can mount vises. I'll also need to attach a skirt for mounting the vises and may look into adding a tool trough. The width may stay the same by the time I cut off the rounded edges and add the skirts. Seems like a lot of added work.

On the other hand I can get this from Grizzly for $169 plus shipping (with another $20 off this week only!):

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2011/Christmas/46

It's 30" x 72" x 1.75" I will need to add a "skirt" for the vise mounting adding more inches to the width. I do like the 30" width, though. Problems: will it start to get too wide for a workbench and I can't use it immediately.

Any opinions?

Or you can try to get a top directly from the factory that supplies Woodcraft, Grizzly, etc.

Bally Block, in Bally, PA (SW of Allentown, about 2+45 drive from you) used to sell seconds from their factory. Some tops have minor imperfections that are often easily repaired or removed. They carry hard maple, ash, oak, cherry, etc. tops. They sell the seconds to generate money for their employee activity fund.

My top had been returned by an old Army depot for resurfacing. It had four small holes where a vise had been mounted but were invisible once I plugged them. It was originally close to 3" thick hard maple resurfaced to 2.75" and measured 30" X 72"- I paid only $75.

They also sold me some rough 8/4 maple to use for skirts and vise jaws at below retail. Their stock of seconds changes continuously, but if they have something you want, they will hold it for you. They don't ship nor do they even advertise this service. You need to call them. The old gentleman who used to run this service is Russell but I don't know if he still works there. When you call (don't know if this is still a good number: 610-845-7511) they will tell you they don't sell retail, you must ask for Russell or whoever replaced him. Call first, because a few years ago they were on reduced hours and Russell wasn't available every day. If you Google it you can find some old threads here and on other forums about this. You can't beat the price and quality!

Top as I got it sitting on my legs:

After aprons, end caps, vises, and finish had been added:

Nearly 30 years ago I purchased a 36x72 top and steel legs. It was wobbly, but I used it for years, until finally getting around to building my own base. What a difference! I don't regret for a minute having the wider top, and always wondered why woodworker's benches were always so narrow.
    By the way, the space under the bench is part of your shop space as well, so you might as well make good use of it too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (73.7 KB, 55 views)

I've got one of yhe Sams club benches works great for now. Down the road I may add a second bench.

Blog Entries
    The harbor freight bench is not solid, I looked at one yesterday. The bench surface is 3/4" thick and there is a 2" apron around the surface to make it appear solid. It looks like a real piece of junk.

well guess the pic is deceiving.

Since you are in Fishkill Tom I would devote part of a Saturday and drive to Bally Block. All of the guys from PA have had great success there. Alternately I would go with the Grizzly maple tops. I worked for 20 years on a 30" x 72" bench 1.75" thick to which I added a .75" x 4" bottom rim of poplar for mounting a vise and added stiffness. I too had metal legs which I drilled to add a shelf. The advantage to metal legs is the adjustability of the height. When I was primarily a power tool woodworker the bench was 34" high and I am only 5'9". Over the years as I transitioned to becoming a hand tools guy the bench dropped inch by inch until it was only 30" tall. It is now modified and retired as the primary bench and with a 1" wide rim around it acts as my assembly and finishing table. A 30" width is useful if you need to assemble large projects, but it is awkward and limiting if one side is up against a wall. Mine was always out in the open and accessible from all 4 sides.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Thanks for the tip on Bally Block. I'll check them out! By the way, I saw the Harbor Freight model, and its pretty poor. I can only see it as a light duty model for someone who only does small projects and doesn't intend on using chisels, etc. It would still need better support for stability. The benches you guys have built are fantastic. Alan, can you give us more details on your height adjustment system?

I found the site for Bally Block and they refer you to Grizzly: http://www.mapleblock.com/

I'll have to call about the seconds!