Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly g0690/1 owners...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Joyce View Post
    No template but the rail is set at the specified height. Is there a way to adjust the pressure required to lock the fence down? The only way I can see is if you back off the alignment set screws but they are already backed off as far as they go while maintaining proper alignment. In the last pic it doesnt look like its up by much but it's about an inch.

Attachment 214919Attachment 214920Attachment 214921
    The only way to adjust clamping pressure is with the alignment set screws (page 66/67 of the g0690 manual), but i'm not sure what you mean when you say "they are already backed off as far as they go while maintaining alignment".

In particular, as long as both are equal, the alignment should stay the same, so you should be able to back them out as far as you want as long as you back both out the same number of turns.
    I would back them out literally all the way, put them in just enough to clamp at all, and see if problem persists. If it persists, something is very wonky (maybe they are at a bad angle to the rail for some reason, which causes them to push the fence *up* instead of just laterally). If problem goes away when you do this, slowly tighten both the same number of turns until you are happy with clamp pressure.

No template but the rail is set at the specified height. Is there a way to adjust the pressure required to lock the fence down? The only way I can see is if you back off the alignment set screws but they are already backed off as far as they go while maintaining proper alignment. In the last pic it doesnt look like its up by much but it's about an inch.
    I can't tell in the picture, is the machined side of the rail towards the saw?

I have the G0691 and fence that comes with it. Mine never raises as high as your picture shows. Maybe 1/16th of an inch at most and that only happens when it's hard to lock down and that is caused by sawdust that gets caked in there after a lot of cutting preventing a smooth lockdown. I just blow it out with my compressor and that fixes any issues.

Both sides of the rail are machined on my setup. While aligning the fence to the mitre slot I found that one set screw had to be several turns tighter then the "other". The "other" screw is just ever so slightly putting pressure on the flex bar, therefore I consider this as loose as I can make it. Dave thats a good idea about trying to shim it. Might be able to tell in the pictures but the rail actually tilts down away from the table which, if not the cause, could be exasperating the problem.
    One other thing. I just found that the tape supplied with this fence system is off by almost a 16th over 24 inches. Did you guys have good luck with yours and am I likely to have success with a replacement or should I try and get a higher quality tape somewhere else?
    Thanks again

One other thing. I just found that the tape supplied with this fence system is off by almost a 16th over 24 inches. Did you guys have good luck with yours and am I likely to have success with a replacement or should I try and get a higher quality tape somewhere else?
    I threw mine away and replaced it with Starrett tape. It's more accurate, crisper and has smaller increments. It's also metal backed, so it doesn't stretch when you're applying it.

http://www.amazon.com/Measure-Measur...3232566&sr=1-2
    Last edited by david brum; 12-06-2011 at 11:40 PM.

sam, is the square guide tube "square" to the table top? in the first pic, it looks like the top surface of the guide tube is not parallel to the table top. if the top of the guide tube is sloping away from the saw, when the fence locks onto the guide tube, it would assume the plane of the guide tube causing the end of the fence furthest away from the locking mechanism to rise up from the top of the saw, sort of like a teeter totter.

I took the rail tube off and checked the L bracket for squareness. At certain areas along its length it is but in others it is very much out of square (obtuse), more than an 1/8th over 2 1/2 inches. Is this normal? The fence wasnt cheap so you would think it wouldnt be within tolerance with these measurments.

I took the rail tube off and checked the L bracket for squareness. At certain areas along its length it is but in others it is very much out of square (obtuse), more than an 1/8th over 2 1/2 inches. Is this normal? The fence wasnt cheap so you would think it wouldnt be within tolerance with these measurments.
    doesn't seem normal to me. if the angle iron bracket isn't a perfect 90*, and the guide tube is a perfect 90* and is bolted to the angle iron, the fence will assume the attitude of the angle iron when it is clamped to the guide tube. if the angle iron angle is greater than 90*, that would probably cause the rear of the fence to move up and away from the table top.

Shimmed the outside bottom edge of the bracket. It took six layers of masking tape but I got it almost perfectly flat and the fence no longer lifts up when locked. If anyone else has this problem this seems to be the solution.