Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An American Christmas

I longer buy or accept Christmas gifts. It was either I was getting stuff I didn't need or want, or I was giving gift givers a very specific list of items to choose from to give me. I finally decided I would buy stuff I wanted/needed on my time schedule and dispense with exchanging gifts.

I don't have a significant other or any kids. It wouldn't work so well with an SO or kids.

Blog Entries
    The gifts for my family and friends this year are being made of wood that was grown in my back yard.

Almost all the tools being used were also made in America.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave,
    Excellent link! Hopefully people who view this and watched the news show will give this some serious thought.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post

I have dialup and an old computor, whats the link about? Going to have to break down and buy a computor soon.....

Went into a Toys are Us. Not the place to look for American products. Bought three banks for the nieces and granddaughter that are three foot tall Crayola crayons, made in Pennsylvania. That was all we could find.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have dialup and an old computor, whats the link about? Going to have to break down and buy a computor soon.....

Went into a Toys are Us. Not the place to look for American products. Bought three banks for the nieces and granddaughter that are three foot tall Crayola crayons, made in Pennsylvania. That was all we could find.

Larry
    The link was the ABC news story about a home built with all USA made goods. Only cost 1% more to build. Basically a story how made in the USA good are available, you just need to take the time to look for them. They had an example of a "J" bolt. They were unable to find one made in the USA so they had them custom built at a machine shop vs buying overseas. Turns out a company in Georgia makes them, and makes them $0.11 cheaper than the overseas bolts. They say if homes built used 5% USA made goods. 220K jobs would be created.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

So, I went to World Market today because I have one friend who loves all things British. I did find some made in the USA items and I purchased those. I have to admit, though, that it was hard to resist some of the textiles made in India.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Ahh, I read that story, or where they got it from in one of the trades.

My local lumber supplier, not a box store by the way, switched to generic gun nails for Paslodes instead of the USA made nails. They are like four bucks a box cheaper. I refused to buy them, and told them I was going to have to start looking around for another place to buy my supplies, and in fact I may just have to close my account here. They now stock both. Fasteners are almost all made in some foreign land these days unless you insist on quality.

Today I went to Sears, and surprisingly they have a fairly large selection of tools that are made in the USA. I bought my brothers in law stuff from their automotive tool section.

Tried to find reasonably priced cookware for my youngest daughter made here, but no luck so far. I haven't given up yet.

I did kind of break my rule today. I bought three $100 gift certificates from my favorite clothing store, and one that does business with me as well. I make all of their new store fixtures. They stock all of the classic good brands like Pendleton, Woolrich and so forth, and the store owner is just sick that there is almost no clothing made in the USA any more. The main bridge through town is out till spring and is really hurting their business, so I bent my resolution just a bit to help out a friend and customer. Besides, technically it will be my daughters buying the foreign cloths. See rationalized.........

If any of you guys need lessons in rationalization, especially as it applies to justifying the purchase of new tools, let me know. I am the king!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    The link was the ABC news story about a home built with all USA made goods. Only cost 1% more to build. Basically a story how made in the USA good are available, you just need to take the time to look for them. They had an example of a "J" bolt. They were unable to find one made in the USA so they had them custom built at a machine shop vs buying overseas. Turns out a company in Georgia makes them, and makes them $0.11 cheaper than the overseas bolts. They say if homes built used 5% USA made goods. 220K jobs would be created.
    Did the extra 1% on the cost of the home include the cost of the man hours spent searching for USA made products? Building materials still seem to be made in the USA for the most part until you get to the interior finishing materials which are harder to find in the USA from what I have found.

I'm surprised Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards aren't buying from that Georgia supplier if they are cheaper. They'll often switch suppliers for a penny or two cost difference. Menards is the worst. John Menard has never seen a dollar he hasn't kept a tight grip on. Menards will pay suppliers for goods to sell in the stores because they need to keep goods flowing, but they won't pay other bills. There are businesses that won't deal with Menards because they take so long to pay. I personally know a small businessman who refused a job for Menards because he knows it will be like pulling teeth to get paid. He also knows others in his trade who won't deal with them either. He said you almost have to plan on getting lawyer involved to get money from Menards.