Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hour Meter for Machine Maintenance

Hour Meter for Machine Maintenance

Hello Everybody,

I recently purchased a new Grizzly planer (G0453PX) which works very well by the way. They recommend that the gearbox oil is changed every 25 hours if I recall. I'd like to try to follow the maintenance schedule closely since I hope this planer lasts for a very long time. I was thinking about hanging a log sheet on the side of it and trying to be disciplined enough to write down the usage times every time I use it. But I don't know how practical that is.

Yesterday I started thinking about trying to rig up an electric hour meter to track the hours that the motor is running. I looked on line and see some options that might work. I'm wondering how others handle the tracking of usage hours and if anyone has done something similar?

Thanks.

Charlie

I wouldnt worry to much about it and just change it once a year or something along those lines. I think if you did the math that would be more than 20000 linear ft of lumber.

Don

Blog Entries
    If you must... they sell meters that attach to the power supply lines. Counts the number of hours (and tenths of an hour) the machine is on. Usually around $40-50.

But not worth it, IMO...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Do a Google for "vibration hour meters" like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hardline-Produ.../dp/B003RB0IAQ

There are cheap ones on eBay as well.

Are you sure it's every 25 hours? I'd be changing my oil like every other month? I don't think I'd bother with an electric meter, unless it was cheap and easy to attach. I'd just try to keep a log of roughly how much it gets use. The oil won't know if you go over by ann hour or so

good luck,
    JeffD

Here's a resettable meter that runs on 240VAC. $14.50 NOS plus shipping.

http://www.electronicsurplus.com/Ite...-236412ABAAA3/

Every 25 hours does sound a bit excessive. The gear box in a planer isn't subject to a lot of heat, so the oil doesn't really break down. A car's gearbox, which is subject to extreme heat, doesn't go through oil anwhere near that quickly, so how would a planer. I think the once a year thing is plenty. Maybe a Black Friday tradition our something.

I pulled up the G0453Z (the green version) manual from the Grizzly web site just for kicks and it says yearly for oil changes.
    JR

Does Grizzly own stock in an oil company?

Probably mis read or misprint. PM manual says 2500 hours. I personally suggest yearly just so you know its full and clean with no metal shavings. More of an inspection rather than an oil change. The biggest thing with those planers is the gear box leaking.

Don

I added an hour meter to my compressor for the same reason. It was relatively simple to wire in a Hobbs meter that fed from one side of the 240 to neutral. Just hook it into the switched side and you're in business.

Here is a multi voltage AC/DC meter at McMaster-Carr for $26.00

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hour-meters/=f8id7o

Scroll down until you find Part number
    1878T42

Scott

I think that you should re-read that section again. You need to replace the gear oil after the 'first' 20 hours of operation, and then once every year. I might consider replacing the oil at the 50 hour mark just to get any of the left over metal fines that were not flushed out with the first oil change, but yearly is more than enough.

13. You mean something like this?

IMG_0754.jpg

BTW, was that a stealth gloat? If so, you suck.

Not really. I think I only had a 5% off Grizzly coupon, so at best we're talking a 5% gloat!