Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: driveway de-icer (calcium chloride) question

Question driveway de-icer (calcium chloride) question

Towards the end of last winter, I could not find rock salt, so I purchased a large bag of Prestone Driveway HEAT de-icier.

For storage I rolled to top of the bag down and clamped it with a couple of clothe pins. And stored it in a dry spot of my basement.

But, in getting ready for winter, I opened it earlier this week, and found that it had "melted" together into a single block.

What is the best way to break it up? I am thinking about wrapping it in a plastic tarp and beating on it with a sledge hammer.

In the future, how is the best way to store / preserve this type of material?

Thanks in Advance,

Jesse

I tried that. It crushes the bag and ends up full of holes. Some suggested a "universal grinder" but I haven't sought on out. I got kind of geeky with some of it and dissolved a glob in a little hot water (to make a slush) and poured it on. Seems kind of counter intuitive but it worked.

when I open a bag of it, I load it into a couple of big plastic cat litter buckets with lids that seal. Buckets have a handle and makes it easier to carry and spread. Works pretty good, although, some of the stuff that was in the bucket for about a year got a little clumpy. but not unusable.

put it in a 5 gallon bucket, and smash it with either a post or a posthole digger, or a shovel. using a tarp with ruin the tarp
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I'm not sure about a post hole digger (atleast the one I have). But a tamper might work real nice. I also tried smashing it in the bucket on a concrete floor. there was no support for the bucket and the bottom broke apart. Maybe outside on the dirt may work better.

a tamper would probably work better, i was just thinking a posthole digger would do twice the work of a shovel
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

since you already own a sledge hammer, why not use the hammer the way that a tamp tool are use

You're not having fun until you have to break up 2500 lbs of the stuff in a dump truck salt spreader...

Calcium chloride absorbs moisture, so any long-term storage solution intended to keep it usable should probably include a desiccant of some sort. I would think a pound or two of rice in a nylon added to the salt that you've put in a sealed bucket would go a long way toward preserving the salt for the next winter.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    You're not having fun until you have to break up 2500 lbs of the stuff in a dump truck salt spreader...

Calcium chloride absorbs moisture, so any long-term storage solution intended to keep it usable should probably include a desiccant of some sort. I would think a pound or two of rice in a nylon added to the salt that you've put in a sealed bucket would go a long way toward preserving the salt for the next winter.
    which is the easier to break-up salt or concrete in the mixing truck ? sugar cakes up too, do they blast it up by exploding charges

This doesn't help with your problem today but in the future, consider urea instead of calcium chloride. We've had urea granules stored for years in a garage and no clumping at all. The only downside is the grass next to the sidewalk or driveway will get REALLY green and grow REALLY fast for a while in the spring. We find a little goes quite a long way; 50 lbs. has lasted us 5+ years. There may be downside to using Urea beside nitrogen runoff but I don't see it. Airports used to use Urea because it's not corrosive.

You could use a 1" auger bit in a drill to get the block bored out in a bunch of places. A hammer will finish it.
    I had CC melt during the summer also. I think I'll try urea this year.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I like the side effect (greener grass). I'll try to remember to get some.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    ..I think I'll try urea this year.
    Where do you guys get urea? I haven't seen it at my borgs, but of course, I haven't been looking for it either...

look in the garden section and ask for fertilizer [sc]

A lawn/garden store right up the road has it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night