Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Yankee Workshop Online

I'm having the same problem. I'll try and figure it out and post a fix. I just upgraded to IE 9 so I'm sure its a setting.

Although the site isn't updated very often anymore, the latest offering is the router station. I was able to watch the whole video without problems. I also ordered a couple of videos at Christmas and got them without issues so they are at least still selling off the site and updating every so often

Blog Entries
    You might fix it by hitting refresh or clearing your router cache.

Blog Entries
    Uh, forgot where I was. That would be your internet router not the Porter-Cable one. Clear your browser.

Well I am using Internet Explorer 9 but it still does not allow me to see the content.......must be a settings issue.....sigh.....

All I see is the NYW sign and the drop down menus; other than that the screen is blank and clicking on any menu item just leaves the same empty screen. I'm using IE 9 and before they went down yesterday the site worked fine...except for the online video remaining the Nest of Boxes one that's been there for ages.

Well I'm not sure what you guys are getting but the first few times I went there I pulled up some page called bluehost, Well I just keep clicking and I finally get to the New Yankee Workshop page but only the header with the links with in the site showing when I click, nothing. When this post started before christmas I had the same problem. You guys that watched the router table video in the last few days must be blessed.

If you are seeing bad page displays then that is most likely your browser. Try downloading either Firefox or Chrome and see if that works any better. Does IE9 have the compatibility option that previous versions did? You could click what looked like a broken page next to the address bar to turn compatibility on and off. It's possible the New Yankee website is attempting to take advantage of known issues in previous versions of IE, and IE9 no longer has those issues. But turning on compatibility mode may make it behave like an older version.

If you are seeing bluehost issues then try typing the "www." part before the website. Some internet providers like to perform their own redirection rather than letting the browser do it for you. So when you leave off the "www" the New Yankee website tries to tell the browser to go to "www.newyankee.com" instead, but bluehost grabs that and sends the browser to their own page instead. That behavior has ticked off a number of people in the internet community because it's not really standard.

This image shows what I see at the site. The left is Internet Explorer, the right is Firefox

I get the same screen (left) as John with IE8, but can watch the video with Chrome.

In the address bar in IE from right to left there is the X for stopping the page, the circle arrow for refresh, and then the broken page icon. Click that icon to turn compatibility mode on and see what happens.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    In the address bar in IE from right to left there is the X for stopping the page, the circle arrow for refresh, and then the broken page icon. Click that icon to turn compatibility mode on and see what happens.
    Still didn't work for me. Pretty lame that a website doesn't work with IE.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Still didn't work for me. Pretty lame that a website doesn't work with IE.
    To be fair, IE has been ignoring web standards for quite some time. But usually you find things the other way: a site that works great in IE and poorly under every other browser.

It looks like the New Yankee Workshop site has a JavaScript issue. IE complains about one of the script commands and fails to render the remainder of the page. The page text has been loaded into the browser, it just doesn't display correctly. I'd email the webmaster but I cannot find an address for that anywhere on their pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cappeller View Post
    All I see is the NYW sign and the drop down menus; other than that the screen is blank and clicking on any menu item just leaves the same empty screen. I'm using IE 9 and before they went down yesterday the site worked fine...except for the online video remaining the Nest of Boxes one that's been there for ages.
    exactly what I see too.......................

A simpler solution would be to download and install a different browser. You can still use Internet Explorer if that's your favorite but you will have another choice when web sites give you fits. Personally, I have IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari with Firefox being my "Go To" browser 99% of the time.