Thread: ca pen finish

ca pen finish

Turned a couple of acrylic pens, and sanded and had a smooth finish on it. applied ca to the pen, small amounts of medium ca with very low rpm, applied several coats in same manner, spraying hardener after each coat. Wet sanded, finish looks o.k. but seems to be small bubbles in finish under the top layers, can sand out. Not sure if the bubbles are due to temp in shop being cold or the use of the spray. I turned a few awhile back, warmer outside, but didn't use the spray. Any idea where my issue might be? thanks...I followed the guidelines now as well as in the past with Barry Gross Acrylic dvd, didn't have issue until now, and it is in both pens tonight. thanks again. Dennis

Dennis,

I have limited experience turning acrylic pens but I've never used any finish on the ones I turn. I just wet sand and wet "micro-mesh" and they come out great. Same thing with solid surface counter top materials. Just wet sand and wet micro-mesh.......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Plus + what Ken said

+2 on what Ken said. You shouldn't have to apply any kind of finish to acrylic or any plastic type pen blank. However, I do on occasion add a coat of wax but only because I like the way it makes the pen feel.

"The best things in life are not things."

When I add CA to Acrylic is usually when I'm adding a decal. I have always used thin CA when working with acrylics. The only thing I can think of is when you used the Med Ca is that you did not smooth it down enough with a paper towel before adding the acceleorator and it bubbled some. Try using thin Ca with the lathe running at about 300-350rpms making sure you smooth out the CA before adding the acceleorator. That should solve your problem. Medium CA is not the best on Acrylics. I can use thin CA all day and it hasn't never given a problem. Let me know how it turns out. I will help all I can.

I turn acrylics, wet sand and buff with the Beall buff.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I do just like Bernie when I turn acrylic duck calls. No need or advantage to putting a CA finish on acrylic.

Acrylic is usually best with just a lot of sanding...I start at 600 wet/dry and move up to 12,000 mm wet. Good polish with Hutts or your favorite polishing method and you're good to go!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots