Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pin nailer doesn't shoot pins

Pin nailer doesn't shoot pins

I did a quick search but did not find anything that resembled my issue.

I received a Harbor Freight 23 ga pin nailer as a gift a few months back but did not use it until now. I bought Grex brand pins in several sizes but the nailer does not shoot any of the sizes. The instructions seem simple enough, but it appears the pins are NOT getting down to the tip. The nailer does give the "pfft' sound so it appears to be getting air. The air pressure was within the nailer's recommended range. I just slid the pins into the slot in the magazine and closed the magazine. By the way, I did change the size indicator when trying the different sizes. It seems the pins just are not moving down to the tip. Is there some sort of spring device that I'm missing or perhaps just not loading it correctly? I'll admit that I did not give it any oil, but doesn't seem like that would keep it from shooting one or two pins.

Thanks in advance.

pin_nailer_instructions.jpg

I've got the same pinner and I bought an assortment pack of grex pins from WC. Mine works fine. One thing, not all the grex pins where short enough (according to the pinner's document). Any chance you are loading pins that are too long? I'm not looking at the pinner right now, so that may be a stupid question...

Sometimes a nailer won't shoot pins. I find that if I increase the air pressure to the upper end of the range and then make sure the nailer is oiled and fire it with no nails in it a bunch of times into a scrap to get the parts moving. Then I load it with nails pushing the magazine to the bottom and it works.

First thing I'd check is the air pressure.

I would also oil it. heh

On mine, I do put a drop or two of oil into the nipple before I attach the compressor...

I have an Air Locker pin nailer which is another pacific rim product. I had something similar going on, nails not feeding reliably. There was a little bit of a burr where the 'magazine' joined the 'chamber'. I disassembled enough to get to that edge and sanded away the burr. It's been fine since so that's one thing to look at.

I received a Harbor Freight 23 ga pin nailer as a gift a few months back but did not use it until now.
    Rule #1 of Harbor Freight - always test/use whatever you get from them as soon as you get it.
    Their return policy is very generous if you excersize it within 30 days.

You might try taking the gun down to HF and explain to them it was a gift & it doesn't appear to funtion roight out of the box.
    They may allow you to exchange it for another one.

On 23 ga pins it can be hard to tell what way to load the pins. Most has arrows printed on them that should be loaded pointing down.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
    I'll admit that I did not give it any oil
    You should.

How about getting pins from HF?

Now they need the receipt to handle your return

Pinwu

I have one of those. I seem to remember having to remove the top plate from the tip (two screws) and cleaning out the pin's pathway. It's a pretty simple mechanism and any obstruction should be obvious.

Pin guns are really handy to have around.
    Last edited by david brum; 12-09-2011 at 2:05 AM.

The Pfft .. sound.. is it the sound of the driver blade going all the way forward, and all the way back ?

Normally you fire by pulling the trigger in .. If you hold the trigger in, the driver blade stays extended out the tip of the gun.. When you release the trigger, the blade is forced back up to the top allowing the nails to advance forward.

If the gun simply makes a light pfft sound, that could mean the driver blade is not advancing.. It could be a dislodged bumper, broken o-ring or broken driver.. but those things are wear and tear..

If the driver blade is active, then its either not going back far enough to let the spring in the magazine advance the next pin.. It could also be jammed .. its not uncommon for a gun to cycle when plugged into the air (when new) .. if it did so with really low pressure, it could have jammed its first ever pin.

I would remove the top cap at the nose and see if there is a jam or if the driver blade is moveable.. it should slide with a small amount of pressure..

Now they need the receipt to handle your return
    Correct - that's what the store manager told my wife when she returned a pneumatic tool.
    He did let it slide though since it was a replacement and not a refund.
    The OP and I live in the same town & it's a good bet the gun came from the same HF store I deal with.

Ralph,
    I'm in Stow also. I have some 1/2" through 1" Porter Cable pins.
    If you want to try another brand to see if it makes a difference & don't want to have to buy a whole pack, give me a shout.

What store did you try. The Akron one or the Cleveland store. I got one at the Akron store that did the same thing and I exchanged it at the Cleveland store no questions asked.

Buy a new one from HF put the old one in the new box and return it receipt in hand.