Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compliments are great BUT!!!!!

Compliments are great BUT!!!!!

I frequent several different turning forums, mainly to get inspiration for future pieces. You may not notice it but some of my work has been the result of that inspiration. It all looks very different from others pieces but the influence is there. I also post pictures in the hopes of getting honest critical feedback which I hope will advance my thinking and turning eye to produce better work.

I realize that many of you look at someones work and rather that say anything do not reply at ALL! Example. I posted a picture of a Box Elder hollow form first of December with the title "What Do You Think Of My Solution". To date 609 turners have viewed it and 17 turners responded with comments - mostly positive because I think you were trying to be kind. I changed the top and renamed it "Desert Flower". I have receive comments like "I didn't like the first one but I like this one" or "I didn't like the first one so I didn't say anything". Therefore, in the future I am going to say something like "Critiques and comments welcome - if you don't like it TELL ME WHY!!!".

Hey, I am thick skinned. I can take it. Negative comments in the way of constructive criticism will help everyone become better turners. I am willing to be the punching bag
    I turn, therefore I am

Point taken, you are correct. Comments like "pretty" really don't do much for our development do they. Will try harder.

I learned log ago after being part of several artistic communities online that it is very important to try and be critical of people's work. Even if you are in love with a piece, some sort of constructive comment or critique can be an important factor in the development of that persons' work. Critiques are one of the main ways to spur innovation.

Many times, I will think a piece is visually near perfect...but I will still do my best to give the submitter a "Maybe if..." or a "Would also..." just to possibly spark a little creativity in the creator's mind.

Dick, I couldn't agree more. Attaboy comments are the norm, and are of no value to the turner. In my case I sometimes click on a post where a critique was asked for and already there are nothing but 10 attaboys. Now I'm going to look like the grinch who stole Christmas if I say what I really think. In that case, I usually say nothing because I hate to give an attaboy when I really want to say something that in this case would would be the first negative comment

Not everybody is thick skinned as you say you are. I have gotten in trouble more than once for giving my honest opinion on a piece that the turner thought was his/her best piece ever. Often a turner will ask for a critique but what they really want to hear are the attaboys.

Sometimes it's difficult to give an educated opinion from just seeing a photo or two. There is a lot more to judging a piece than by just seeing an outline of the form. How it feels when handled, is it thin walled or is it heavy, how the finish appears under close examination, and so on. The only way we can help a turner is to explain why a certain comment was made and how the piece could be improved by changing a certain curve or the size of the foot, etc.

I may get jumped on for saying this, but one of my pet peeves is critiques from folks who don't really know what a good form or a good curve is. I hope that doesn't sound eletist but the person asking for the critique really wants to hear from experienced turners. Otherwise, just say that you like it if you do. In my own case, when I ask for an opinion, I hope that I hear from someone who's opinion I respect......okay fire away. I've been flamed before, and not too long ago.
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 12-07-2011 at 3:13 PM.

Good point Dick. I also appreciate REAL critiques and those type of critiques have really helped me grow as an artist. I don't have a perfect "eye" for forms and so it has been pretty common place for me to post pictures of odd shaped forms that "break the rules". Some work, but 95% or more are horrible and I needed to be told so! My wife is always "thats nice" but if I get an "oh my", well that speaks for itself!

Even over on the "other" site. I pay attension to the number of comments/replies and take a mental note that little to no comments = this piece isn't up to snuff (at least over there). It's kinda stealth but effective in a small way. I much prefer direct comments and although I might disagree a bit, it is good to have a fresh set of eyes (expecially a turner) critiqueing my work.

Some people, like Wally said, might ask for a critique but aren't prepared to hear the honest truth and take it the wrong way.

A good suggestion might be to chane from "Comments and critiques welcome" to "Comments and constructive critiques WANTED".
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

You have a valid point, Dick. The only problem is that you will very rarely receive an honest critique here. There are various reasons, IMHO.

It could be the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" problem. People will dance around saying anything negative. You can bet that when you read "that is a very unusual form," the poster usually means, "that form is unusual because it is so hideous."

People want to follow the crowd. If the first four posters say it is great for no particular reason, then it is hard for the fifth poster to give an honest negative critique, even if the first four posters have no idea what they are talking about.

As Wally mentioned, the talent here has an extreme range, from "I am thinking about getting a lathe" people all the way to professional turners.

And my favorite thread starts this way, "This is my best piece ever, I am so proud of it, and my wife/husband has already claimed it. What do you think?" You can't really post "You have no taste and I guess your wife/husband doesn't either."

People just want to be liked. Being negative will not make you popular with the poster, no matter how helpful you are trying to be.

I have learned a lot here and hopefully have given back some. Most of the stuff I post has already been sold so, like you, I really am trying to improve on my next piece when asking for a critique.
    Just my rambling thoughts! YMMV

Dick,
    I agree completely with your post. I too would like to see more constructive criticism. These forums do tend to favor compliments, and I think we could all be a little braver and make well thought out comments with out hurting too many feelings. After all most of us do put "comments and critiques" on our posts.

Malcolm Tibbetts has a wonderful way of complimenting a piece and critiquing it at the same time. He will always point out something positive, and then give his ideas for improvement. Who wouldn't want to hear those remarks, and not just from someone as respected as Malcolm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I know on WTA, there is very little "Atta boy!" and more of a "think about this and work on that" mentality. Sometimes the term "artist" can lead to an ego sensitive to bruising so the politically correct thing to do limit criticism and stroke the ego. Try that on IAP...you’ll get you’re booty kicked...those guys make pens, in many cases, for a living and they don't care if you like it not. Don't like the heat...stay out of the shop!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    Malcolm Tibbetts has a wonderful way of complimenting a piece and critiquing it at the same time. He will always point out something positive, and then give his ideas for improvement. Who wouldn't want to hear those remarks, and not just from someone as respected as Malcolm.
    This is how I feel about the comments I've gotten from some. John K and Scott H jump to mind. I posted my turnings and got some encouragement but also got critique on how to make mistakes or lines better. It has been a good mix of atta boys and maybe tweak this and that. I think that by the nature of SMC you need to ask for feedback.

Wally to your point about wanting feed back from "good" turners. Doesn't sound elitist and I get what you mean. I don't know what your target for turning is. If it is for "high art" than I can see wanting info from others working at the same goal or on the same level you perceive yourself to be at. But if your goal was to make stuff that sold well to the masses feed back from everyone would be good. I might know the math behind why a curve looks good or bad or what the current fad in turning art is. But I know when I look at something if it is ugly to me or not. I'd almost be on the other side of the coin. I'm less interested in critic from someone who is a legend in the turning world but that thinks all forms need a dye job, super carving, inlay or something added to a piece. I'd prefer feedback from someone who likes turning that is basically clear coat only to highlight the curves and grain of a piece.

Back to the main point, I know of at least a few folks who don't really post here because there is little point to it in their eyes. We almost all have friends, wives, parents or kids that would look at our worst failure in turning and say it looks great to them. A community of folks like this should be here to encourage AND to improve us.

Maybe we could have a best turning of the week competition to fuel the comments. I kid, I kid!
    Last edited by Derek Gilmer; 12-07-2011 at 4:19 PM.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

This topic has arisen many times. Some of you may not be aware of the sticky on Critique that is here.

While I do agree with the comment, please understand that we have many folks that are just beginning in this endeavor. While it is important for them to receive honest critique, the reality is that some of them may not even understand the nuances of a full fledged critique.

Some folks may have never watched anyone turn, understand form, nor have any idea of proportion. They may have only logged on to the creek recently and have not benefited from the hundreds of hours that many of us have spent studying the turnings of others, or simply studying form.

For some, those elements may come slower, or with less understanding.

It is difficult to know the background of an individual that is posting a turning unless they have been around a while. And, nothing will stifle creativity like a raking critique.

There is a way to convey helpful information, and I agree we should do more of that in a gentle manner.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    This topic has arisen many times. Some of you may not be aware of the sticky on Critique that is here.

While I do agree with the comment, please understand that we have many folks that are just beginning in this endeavor. While it is important for them to receive honest critique, the reality is that some of them may not even understand the nuances of a full fledged critique.

Some folks may have never watched anyone turn, understand form, nor have any idea of proportion. They may have only logged on to the creek recently and have not benefited from the hundreds of hours that many of us have spent studying the turnings of others, or simply studying form.

For some, those elements may come slower, or with less understanding.

It is difficult to know the background of an individual that is posting a turning unless they have been around a while. And, nothing will stifle creativity like a raking critique.

There is a way to convey helpful information, and I agree we should do more of that in a gentle manner.
    Did this get "un-stickied"? When I look at the turners forum I don't see it up there.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Derek, it is contained within the Master Sticky.

I feel like I'm my own harshest critic, and I'm guessing many woodworkers are. So most of the time I know what's lacking or where something falls short.

The other thing is that critiques that stem from different tastes are not all that helpful. If someone asks you what you think of a jazz number, and you hate jazz, what are you really gonna have to say that's useful or constructive. You may as well leave it to the jazz afficionados to discuss.

That said we all appreciate good feedback from fellow afficionados, so to speak. I like to turn bowls, so if Mike Mahoney or Robin Wood or any number of you who are super experienced bowls turners have something to tell me about an effort, I love to hear it!

I also agree strongly with Wally that it's had to tell from photos. My best bowls as far as feel, curve, weight, etc., don't look all that much different in photos from ones that are not quite so good in some respect. In person, the differences would be obvious, but on the computer, not at all.

Wow I never really thought of this being a problem, to me anyway. I pretty much say what is on my mind, nicely and hopefully in a constructive manner.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

+1 John K's comment. IMHO many of the views without posting may be from people like me (a mainly flatwork guy), who are just not up to the same caliber as many of you. I understand the nuances of the form, but I tend to have a "look don't touch" philosophy toward commenting because your skill level is beyond anything I can personnaly make at this time.