Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a Little Fear Good Around Some Machines?

Is a Little Fear Good Around Some Machines?

I'll admit it, I have a little apprehension or perhaps a little fear of a few machines in my shop. I have some hesitation when using my TS, and compound miter saw; and lesser concern for the router table, jointer, planer, band saw and drill press. (I'm not a lathe guy.)

20 years ago I watched my father have a really bad kick-back on his TS and had to go to the hospital with a puncture wound to his side. Ever since then, I have tended to work much slower and more carefully. I'm not saying I'm afraid of any equipment and I certainly don't get the shakes either. I do worry about what could happen though. (My wife hates it that I work alone since she saw what happened to my father too.)

Am I alone in having slight hesitation? Could slight fear be considered to be a safety mechanism?
    Kev

Kevin

You are not alone - My $.02 - yes - it is a safety mechanism.

It makes a person (me) think about those steel cutters which feel no pain, and those soft-fleshy parts of me that do feel pain when there is a collision of the two.

Having experienced that collision, and fortunately came away with only a scar, I am very cautious now when it comes to setup of my machines/tools.

Jim

Not only a little fear, I treat my TS and several pieces of equipment as if they are dangerous. The jointer for instance. I feel that if I treat them with caution, I'll be better off. It's the old: engage brain before using.... However you want to think about it. It can't hurt if you do...it can hurt if you don't.

Listen to your fear, that's your commonsense making a phone call.

The bandsaw presents little risk to catching loose clothing, and pulling you into a spinning mechanism.
    If you're aware of where put your thumb on your free hand, the compound miter saw is a low risk device. It doesn't do anything for me that I can't do with a handsaw.

The jointer is an interesting problem - you push down over the rotating knives. If push blocks are used, your risk over falling into the works is low.

FWIW - This same sentiment you voice is leading many of us to unplug our shops. I retain a big bandsaw, circular saw (with edge guide), planer and jointer.
    I'm thinking very hard about ditching the planer and jointer.

I think you're right on the beam on this one - much like driving a motorcycle, nonchalance begets accidents.

Blog Entries
    The saying "respect the machine" directly translates to "fear the machine" in my mind. We are talking a healthy respect/fear here, not a child's fear of the monster in the closet. Being reasonably intelligent, we know what a moments distraction can do. The machine doesn't jump up and grab you, you create a scenario that feeds "you" into the stationary machine. BTW, all the machines you list deserve equal amounts of respect. Folks who say things like "a bandsaw is safer" are either using their other tools incorrectly (read unsafely) or have never been to the butcher shop. Different tools are safer/better for different tasks. Tasks done on all can be dangerous, just like driving a car is dangerous if performed incorrectly. Embrace your respect/fear and keep your body parts. ;-) Becoming jaded through repetition or getting "comfortable" around a machine leads to the saddening posts on injury we sometimes see. Proper machine maintenance and use will yield many happy years in the shop.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-07-2011 at 7:59 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'll admit I find myself holding my breath on some operations...particularly at the router table. A healthy respect and/or hesitation is probably a good thing. A paralyzing fear is, of course, not good.

Blog Entries
    I think respect is also a good word as well. When I respect something (not someone), it means that if I do something stupid it will make me pay EVERY TIME. I can count on it. That statement applies to someone as well, but not quite in the same way as a machine.

BTW: I had not seen Glenn's post when I wrote mine. He said it better.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I picked up a TS a couple of weeks ago from a fellow creeker who happened to show me where the tips of 3 of his fingers were missing from a jointer accident. When we got to talking about it, he told me that it was one of those "I am just going to make a quick cut then go inside" things. Well, he did not use his push pads. When the work piece splintered, his left hand went into the blades.

Not only do you need to respect dangerous tools, you also have to fight the danger of becoming complacent using them. He still has the drips of blood on his floor as a reminder.

It may be semantics, but I think fear can be a paralyzing thing. Respect is, to me, a much more appropriate approach. Fear can be a way to get into trouble with machines. Follow the rule (my rule at least) of "engaging the brain prior to pushing the start button".

A little fear goes a long way. The TS blade always commands my full attention. I use products such as GR-Rippers to minimize my exposure. Ditto at the router table. I nicked myself once on the router table several years ago making a "quick" cut, and I remember it like it was yesterday. What seemed like a lot of blood at the time has served as a constant reminder of the power in our tools.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

like a wise old man once told me, if you are never nerveous, never afraid, you are way to cocky. Not saying you have to show your emotions but know you have them and control how people see them makes you normal.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I'll take the contrary side. In my opinion fear in and of itself is a dangerous thing, especially around things that can get you hurt. If you're afraid of something you're always going to be thinking about any or all of the bad things that could happen, thus distracting yourself while you plan an escape route instead of focusing 100% on the task at hand. I don't feel like I'm bragging or trying to be "manly" when I say that I'm not the least bit afraid of any of my machines (or the 115kV electrical equipment that I work on and around daily, either). I understand each and every one of them completely and I fully accept the consequences that may arrise if I have a lapse in judgement or concentration. I've certainly had my share of close calls and I learn from each of them and move forward. My belief is that if you're afraid of your machines it's time to sell them and move on, life is too short to worry that much.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    It may be semantics, but I think fear can be a paralyzing thing. Respect is, to me, a much more appropriate approach. Fear can be a way to get into trouble with machines. Follow the rule (my rule at least) of "engaging the brain prior to pushing the start button".
    This is my thought as well. Respect for what these machines can do to you if you are not always on your guard is what keeps me on my toes.

What John says is appropriate. If you are too afraid of the machines you are using, you should stop using them. If you don't respect the power and potential of those machines that is another reason to find another hobby or vocation.

I've always thought one should feel about woodworking machines the way they do about something like a car. I occasionally feel fear when I am driving...icy roads, heavy rain/bad visibility. I drive more cautiously. I don't fear my machines during normal use but I recognize what can happen if I mess up. Rarely I find myself doing something that is new and/or represents a hazard. I feel some fear and I either change my methodology, proceed with excessive caution or just not do it. I often will feel fear when I am about to use a machine and I am feeling tired. Again I do something about the feeling. I feel it is not a good thing to use a machine I fear all the time.

The only accident I've had is a kick back many years ago when my employer directed me to make a cut in a way I would not normally. He way an idiot...and so was I for listening to him.

John

Healthy respect, but not fear. If you truly are afraid of a particular machine, find another solution.
    For the table saw, replace it with a slider. Mount the miter saw in a nice cabinet with wings and use positive stops and clamps.
    You have to be relaxed and comfortable around a machine in order to maximize it's, and your, potential. Purely fear will hold you back, and also possible make you more unsafe.
    Just my opinion.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)