Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving an 18 inch Bandsaw on its Side

Moving an 18 inch Bandsaw on its Side

Hi,

I'm considering buying a used Laguna LT-18 bandsaw and I'm trying to figure out how to move it on a utility trailer.

I'm not comfortable towing this trailer with the bandsaw in a vertical position. My thinking is to remove the table and then lay the saw down horizontally on the trailer bed with the "stock feed" side (left side when looking from the front of the saw) facing down. The saw would be supported on the left side of the saw base plus a large wooden block under the spine of the saw, located about the height of the axle for the upper wheel. In addition a wooden block would be installed under the frontend of the saw, also at the height of the axle for the upper wheel.

The saw will be firmly tied to prevent movement in any direction. Scrap carpet pieces will be used to protect the saw finish at the base and on support surfaces. This cosmetic protection should not be a challenge. What I'm concerned about is the possibility of bending, warping, or twisting the frame of the bandsaw if it is transported in a horizontal position.

I'd appreciate any comments on my concerns, the plan I've explained, or other recommendations for how to move this saw on a utility trailer.

Thanks.

Bob

I moved my 16? inch laguna on its back. Pretty sure its a 16, but either way my experince holds true. Literally laying down on the flat spine of the frame. Yes, this is the taller way of moving comapred to laying it on its side, it but it is very strong this way and you have less risk of it twisting or putting weight down in an uneven way. Just shimmed it with 2by blocks and strapped down tight but not insane. if you want to get more involved you can build a c shape cradle and attach it to a longer 2x6 which will help prevent it from rolling if you need to evade those wonderful mass drivers. Think of it like how a boat trailer cradles a boat. That would give a wider base. Either way, they are very nice saws.

I think you are making more work for yourself. The saw will transport fine vertically with a couple of decent ratchet straps strapped over the frame above the lower wheel. Remove the lower door and ratchet it tight to the trailer.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We moved my 17" Grizzly as Bruce described. Twice in fact--once when I helped the original owner move and then when he sold it to me.

I know its a smaller saw but I moved my Delta upright in my pick up truck. Just ratchet straped it down thru the base and took my time. I only went across town but 10 miles were 70+ mph interstate. It made the trip fine.

Don't listen to these guys. Moving a massive chunk of welded steel and cast iron requires a silk lined bed of the finest goose down atop a mattress of the finest memory foam money can buy. It must be stabilized by a troop of cherubs wearing kid gloves. Any strapping must be spun from the wool of unborn lambs. Anytging less will twist your prize into a useless heap of scrap just before it shatters into a thousand shards of shrapnel. If this seems like a lot of trouble to you just let me know where it is and I'll save you the trouble.

Good luck with the acquisition. Btw, band saws are usually shipped vertical or on their spine. I drove my 24" Centauro home vertically in the bed of my truck with a couple of straps. No problems what so ever.

I moved my saw in my wife's minivan with the seats removed laying on its spine. I removed the table to make sure nothing broke in the trunion mechanism.

Bob
    I moved my complete Mini Max 16 on it back. Lowered the band saw on to it back to a wood ramp and slid it into bed of my pickup with the help of my adult sons. How deep is the utility trailer? Should be as deep or deeper the band saw height for safe passage. Use as many tie-downs as possible, 500 lbs band saw at 30 mph or more, is hard to stop. Good luck, Tom

I agree. just be sure to stop about a mile down the road and after the first good bump in the road to be sure the straps stay tight. I moved a very top heavy 24" jointer 150 miles last year over mountain roads on a U-Haul flatbed with no trouble using 6 trucker's ratchets to hold it down, and secure it fore and aft and side to side.
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Aronson View Post
    I moved my saw in my wife's minivan with the seats removed laying on its spine. I removed the table to make sure nothing broke in the trunion mechanism.
    I don't often chime in like this, but DITTO. If you're going to lay it down, remove the table. The trunnion is not built to take stresses in that direction. If you're going to transport it upright, what is the possibility of bolting it to the trailer bed or to a large pallet (they way it was shipped in the first place). This would help with the rocking by giving it a larger footprint. Bandsaws aren't necessarily "top heavy" but they don't exactly have a low center of gravity either.

Blog Entries
    I moved my 17" vertically. I understand that Grizzly has you sign a waiver if you want to pick your saw up at their location and move it any way BUT vertically. Properly tied off, it is a non-issue.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I moved my 17" saw by removing the table and both blade wheels.

Makes it a lot lighter and easier.

As others have said, either upright or horizontal depending upon your tie down abilities...................Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I don't often chime in like this, but DITTO. If you're going to lay it down, remove the table. The trunnion is not built to take stresses in that direction. If you're going to transport it upright, what is the possibility of bolting it to the trailer bed or to a large pallet (they way it was shipped in the first place). This would help with the rocking by giving it a larger footprint. Bandsaws aren't necessarily "top heavy" but they don't exactly have a low center of gravity either.
    +1 on removing the table. This, along with the placement of the motor will help make it easier to handle, when resetting.
    That last 2 degrees to upright was VERY difficult, on my own. With the table off, it would have practically rocked upright alone.

Easydoesit.jpg

My experience isn't with a Laguna. but after bouncing my 14" Rockwell/Delta off the pavement getting onto the Interstate on-ramp, I'd never move another band saw vertically. I lucked out and basically only destroyed the sheet metal base and nicked one corner of the table...

Easy enough and safe to transport in an upright possition. BUT! I would either lag it directly to the trailer bed or create a platform that fits tight between the walls and front of the trailer and lag it to this. Also minimum of 4 heavyduty tie down straps secured in a cross pattern from near or at the top of the bandsaw to the trailer sides.
    If you are unable to do this then the next best method would be to remove the motor and table and lay it on it's spine, also securely tied down with straps.