Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Borg lumber shopping: how to select the best Douglas Fir boards for benchtop?

I purchased my df at the Borg last month. I got 2x12 16 footers and cut them down. It is still drying on my basement shop and I hope to begin work next month. It is cupping a little but not bad. I did take some time and selected the best boards I could but it was a struggle.

I think the OP said he was doing everything with handtools. If so, he may be more hesitant to use 2x12s because of all the ripping involved. That would make the 4x4s and 4x6s more attractive.

At my Borg, all the 4x4s are from center of a tree with the pith in the middle. I take it that's not always true.

Again - it all depends on the species. For SYP [treated or not] that is generally true, and I'm guessing that's what you see in The District and environs..........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

1) I think it depends on which boards are "better" quality when your making the selection. Most of the 4x4's I've seen were very "pithy," and with very large knots at varying locations. But at one lumberyard the 4x4's looked really NICE, and clear, but I had already bought and cut mine for laminating up the legs.
    2) If you get 2x12, you can pick boards that give you some freedom in culling out bad stuff and still getting 2 2x4 or 2 sx4.5 cuts, 4x4 or 4x6 do not give you as much freedom, but the fewer boards in the glue-up will be a nice savings in time and work
    3) There is, but I found I impossible to do with my DF boards, grain direction would reverse everywhere, so in the end I glued them up with the best edge on top.
    4) Again, for my glue-ups, it ended up being whatever left the best surface on top.

I used green construction fir, 2x12x28' that were full of knots. I cut the boards into 3 equal length pieces and set them in my shop for about a year. (not that long on purpose) and when I milled them up, they were OK and did not twist up.

5) In general hand planing the top after it was all glued up turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be, and I completely ignored any attention to grain, etc... I think if you can get nice boards, mine were not, you might have more luck trying to follow the rules about grain direction

Good luck. I always see the grass(lumber) as greener on the west coast, and hope you find really nice construction lumber to work with. In MA, it was not easy IMO to find nice construction lumber. I know as you go South or into Ohio and PA it gets easier. I've mentioned before in other threads that if I built another bench someday, I'd get 4x6 or 6x6 fir from a lumberyard specializing in Fir. It would cost more, but should be a lot easier to pick out and turn into a bench.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 12-10-2011 at 11:10 AM.

I was at my local HD today, so I took a look at the untreated GDF (Green Douglas-Fir) 4x material. As Kent has said, there are a lot of variables determining what anyone might find in the lumber rack at their local home center or lumberyard. And what you see today might be different from a week or a month from now.

But at any rate, the 4x4x8's virtually all included the pith, and had large checks. The 4x4x12's included at least some that were sawn just outside the pith, effectively riftsawn, and they didn't look too bad. The 4x6x10's were less likely to include pith, also mostly riftsawn-ish with some flatsawn.

Based on what I observed today, I would go with the 4x6's if I were not going to rip some 2x12's. The advantages of the 2x12's are A) there's usually a lot more available to choose from, which means B) you can probably find enough that are pretty close to quartersawn along the edges. The longer 2x12's, at least 10 feet but better 12 or 16, seem to be clearer. Any of these choices though will require digging through the stacks to find the best boards. By the way, the effective boardfoot prices of the 4x4 green were comparable to the 2x12 green, ~$1.10. The 4x6's were ~$1.75.

I'd try to avoid knots in your top. Especially once petrified, they are really difficult to work with and shred my plane blades for anything but the shallowest of cuts.

If you can get dried doug fir, I'd try to get that.
    Or if you can get reclaimed lumber (but gotta watch for nails).

The largest beams you can get will tend to have the best yield of good-quality wood.
    If you're stuck going with construction lumber, I'd take a serious look at the really big beams.

IMO, doug fir isn't the prettiest of bench materials, and it is a bit more splintery than lots of other things... but it is strong and it is what I'm now using.

Matt

Borg SPF for my bench worked out just fine. I used 2x8s and 2x10s for the top, and the aprons (It's an English bench). Legs were laminated from 2x6s. I spent a lot of time sorting through the bins to get the clearest available... and unlike "the Schwarz," our 2x12 stuff was far from the best. Maybe that's true for good SYP, but not for DF and SPF in this neighborhood. The Borg 4x4s were all terrible, spindly little trees, some with bark material on the corners.

My prime reason for building the bench was for boat building, and I made it long... 12 feet long. The top and aprons are not laminated, just 2x material edge joined in a single layer. I did use a second layer along the dog row and used doubling blocks in a few other places where I wanted holdfast holes. It's heavy and solid. Yes, it might ding a little easier than tiger maple, but I'm not a bit afraid of actually using it and letting it get beat up. Pictures here.

Three years later, no regrets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Covington View Post

But at any rate, the 4x4x8's virtually all included the pith, and had large checks. The 4x4x12's included at least some that were sawn just outside the pith, effectively riftsawn, and they didn't look too bad. The 4x6x10's were less likely to include pith, also mostly riftsawn-ish with some flatsawn.

The longer 2x12's, at least 10 feet but better 12 or 16, seem to be clearer.
    BORG lumber is like a box of chocolate - you never know what you're gonna get.

The 4x observations make sense - kinda what one would expect. If you envision a log, you can see that logs with smaller-diameter butts would be perfect to yield exactly one 4x4, with chips off the four sides, for 8', but is too narrow beyond that for a 4x4. In fact, the big mills organize their logs accordingly, and would have a 100" +/- chunk sent through a machine called a small log processor...a log goes in, and one 4x4 comes out in one pass. The upper end of that same log might be run to yield a single 2x4. These will be pretty much dead-centered on the pith.

Also - recognize that plywood mills are one source of supply for 4x4 - 8'. They spin the 8' logs to peel off the veneer, and the centers - called "peeler cores" become 4x4 - 8' - centered dead-nuts on the pith by definition.

Then, envision a tree that would yield a 16' 4x4 - it is a bigger diameter log at the butt, and so the 4x4 might not be centered to provide the max yield.

Last is a log that would yield a 4x6 10' or 12' - we are talking a much bigger diameter log, of course, and the max yield can place the 4x6 cut well off-center. These are, relatively speaking, big, long honking logs - and the price reflects the more restricted availability.

And - all of this stuff is computer-controlled in modern mills. Logs are scanned for yield and log orientation, with the cutting schematic driven by potential yield, current on-hand lumber inventory, and current market prices. It's really cool to watch in person. If the market is flooded with long 2 x 12, driving the price down, even though you have a very nice log to make 2 x 12 - 16', you might instead cut it into 2x6 or 4x4 or........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions regarding how to select the best home center lumber for a benchtop. It's great to learn from the insight and experience of everyone here.

Kent, your comments about the largest dimensioned lumber coming from the best trees, and therefore likely to be the most straight, stable etc. and the regional differences in available commercial construction grade lumber were really helpful. What you said makes perfect sense, I just never thought of it that way before.

This weekend I picked up some 12 foot DF 4 x 6"'s and cut/planned them to rough dimensions for bench stretchers. I was surprised by how clear and straight they were. I'll have to see how much they move as they dry.

As I get further along with the bench build I will post some pictures etc. Based on the surprising quality of the 4 x 6 DF lumber currently at my local HD, I'm sure I could use these to build a very usable benchtop. I'm just not sure if I have the patience to wait long enough for them to dry before getting on with gluing up the top. I may have to bite the bullet and go for the kiln dried soft maple just out of sheer impatience.

Again thanks to everyone for your insight and advice.

Best regards, Mike

You could always put together a couple layers of 3/4" plywood, with a sheet of 1/2" mdf on top....use just screws. A bolt-on temp top until your 4x6 are ready to go. Then, use the ply & mdf for stuff, jigs, etc. I always seem to have a need.....I buy a sheet of 1/2" or 1/4" mdf at a time, same with ply, just to chew through for temp jigs & fixtures..............plywood chunks never seem to go wanting around this shop.

'Course - over there in the way-back corner where I'm pointing is a nice pile of one-off jigs and fixtures that some one needs to take apart and reuse. Too bad no one ever labelled them as to what in the heck they were originally built for............

4x6 stretchers is gonna be one honking bench......that shouldn't move around on you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    ...This weekend I picked up some 12 foot DF 4 x 6"'s and cut/planned them to rough dimensions for bench stretchers. I was surprised by how clear and straight they were. I'll have to see how much they move as they dry.

As I get further along with the bench build I will post some pictures etc. Based on the surprising quality of the 4 x 6 DF lumber currently at my local HD, I'm sure I could use these to build a very usable benchtop. I'm just not sure if I have the patience to wait long enough for them to dry before getting on with gluing up the top. I may have to bite the bullet and go for the kiln dried soft maple just out of sheer impatience.
    Building a bench is more like carpentry than cabinetmaking, unless, of course, you plan to build a cabinet under the bench, then it's half and half. Therefore, there should be no real problem relating to drying because every part will be braced and tenoned and screwed in place. Now the top "may" behave differently, but only if you don't build an undercarriage/frame for it. So the drying wood can dry in a very sturdy place.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Logs are scanned for yield and log orientation, with the cutting schematic driven by potential yield, current on-hand lumber inventory, and current market prices. It's really cool to watch in person. If the market is flooded with long 2 x 12, driving the price down, even though you have a very nice log to make 2 x 12 - 16', you might instead cut it into 2x6 or 4x4 or........
    Wow--That's crazy! Thanks Kent.

Matthew - I oversimplified it, actually. The yield, inventory, and market pricing also has other factors in it. Like grade and length. Do I take some 2 x 12 - 8' #2, or do I go for 2 x 6 - 12' #1 plus 2 x 4 - 92-5/8 Studs and a 1 x 4 - 8'? Under both, what comes out in terms of chips, and what is the market rate for chips to the pulp mill?

It comes down to "I can get $100 out of that log, or I can get $101.25 out of that log." The guys that mistakenly go for $100 are the ones that are sitting on closed sawmills. The computerized controls are amazing - scanning the logs on the fly, making the decisions, bumping [rotating] the log for the first cut, for the second cut, sending some slabs left, some right, some straight ahead to the next sawing stations. And the stuff flies - I mean FLIES - through there. 600 fpm on a saw/edger/whatever ain't doodly-squat - that's a 10-foot hunk of lumber per second.

Think about it - the 8' studs in your local Heckinger's [yuk - I used to live in your area] came from eastern Canada, all the way down the coast, freight, handling, a middle man or maybe two in the mix, and you just paid what? Two-fifty? Less? Shoot - I'll take a guess that if you add up all the freight - from the forest to the retail store - that's 50 cents per stick, maybe more. If you ever want to get even with your soon-to-be ex-wife, in the divorce settlement, give her the stock in the airlines or primary lumber producers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Roderick View Post
    I hope you have better luck than I did with home center lumber. You have to let it dry for a while in your shop
    Ditto on that. I've been chided as an idiot on this forum after stating my woes with big box SYP. I'm starting to like it better (how could you not like a 2x12x16 of total qsawn for 70-cents pbf?), but i've had those same boards check big time. An 8' almost split it's whole length after a few months in the shop. Now I think it needs to be sealed and stickered.
    I'll pay the extra for kiln-dried when I build a bench