Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood for turning

Wood for turning

I was just curious if any of the creekers out there (new members or older members) that does not have any wood or has a hard time finding wood to turn or maybe even that special piece?????? If so, post what your in need of and I'm sure someone will be happy to help you out.
    Donny
    Merry Christmas to all

I'm always looking for a super large piece of Amboyna Burl if you find any.

That's a great gesture Donny. Hopefully anyone who turns isn't on "break" because they don't have access to a limb dump or forest.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Personally, I have an extreme need... of storage space that is. *Every nook and cranny is filled with wood. *Some of my stash is waiting it's turn for a nook or cranny. * My wife keeps saying "no more wood", then she sees a pretty piece at Woodcraft or CS or Gilmer, and like a homeless puppy, she brings it home to give it a good home. *So now I'm saying "no more wood"! **However, If some excellent curly maple, walnut burl, Buckeye burl, camphor burl, or amboyna burl comes to visit, I'll just kick out the old wood from it's nook or cranny, and let the visiting wood have it's space. * After all, that would be the hospitable thing to do.*
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I need 6 to 8/4 x 15" curly maple, walnut or other fun wood. Checked our two lumber yards this morning...nuthin
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

It might help if we knew where Creekers are located. I often get offered way more than I can use.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I wouldn't mind helping out...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I have to say I helped a fellow woodworker out today and he drove about an hour away for some of my Box Elder. I had "a single piece" that I didn't need. With the help of my tractor,a 20ft log chain and some deep ruts in my yard we pushed,and shoved the 1000lb piece on his trailor. He was very happy and he brought me some pieces from his stash. He brought me a 4x4x3ft long piece of purpleheart, and some ebony,IPE, Canarywood. His only problem is finding someone to cut his piece up for him. I know my 20" sthil wouldn't help so he said he would find a tree service that will cut it into for him so he can handle it. Right now it will have to stay on his trailor. Once he gets it off he cannot get it back on there.

WOW! Now that should have been photographed!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

What I am seeing in this thread are a lot of people offering to help, or telling stories about how they have helped/traded. I think the purpose of this thread (if I understand the OP correctly) is that this:

If anyone that turns needs some wood...ask and ye shall receive.

I as (and I think the OP and others) are perfectly happy to share wood for those that need it. Heck, I've sent a number of people wood. Really, if you are in need, say so. There is no shame in it. It doesn't mean anything othere than you don't have access to it. This stuff grows on trees, you know?
    I drink, therefore I am.

I'd hit up Mike Cruz for some wood if you're in need... He just sent me some killer ambrosia maple! He says that I got "cutoffs", but they're fantastic... The 'good stuff' must be unbelievable!

"...I'd hit up Mike Cruz for some wood..."

OK. I'm officially hitting up Mike for some wood. And Donny too. And anyone else that has "extra" wood too for that matter. I can use all the turning stock I can get. Especially woods that are not readily here in the central valley of CA. It might be a while before I am in a position to reciprocate since my family's resources are tied up in a business venture that is struggling to survive the current economic situation. So to anyone that wants to send me some nice turning stock, I would appreciate it more than I can say and I will be happy to pay shipping costs. There... how's that?
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    I was just curious if any of the creekers out there (new members or older members) that does not have any wood or has a hard time finding wood to turn or maybe even that special piece?????? If so, post what your in need of and I'm sure someone will be happy to help you out.
    Donny
    Merry Christmas to all
    Hi Donny,
    Are you still giving away wood? My son and I might be up for a trip to your place if you are. He has a big trailer....can you fill it?
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

As much as I hate to admit it, it's pretty tough for me to get wood in Austin, I just haven't found a reliable source that I can fit into my work schedule. Like David, I'd be more than willing to cover shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Fournier View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it, it's pretty tough for me to get wood in Austin, I just haven't found a reliable source that I can fit into my work schedule. Like David, I'd be more than willing to cover shipping.
    hey NICK want any walnut?? if so P.M. the infor..

I'd like to get my hands on a sycamore tree or other interesting wood. I can cut it up and haul it. I'm in Dugger, between Bloomington, Terre Haute, and Vincennes Indiana. There is a lot of nice wood around here, but I just moved and don't have a stash, yet.