Thread: I made my maple butcherblock tops...

I made my maple butcherblock tops...

one long-grain and one end grain. They look great. HOWEVER... after I got them all glued up and sanded and ready to oil up, I hear that Titebond is NOT the right glue to use? I know there's II and III but I've never used them and don't know anythign about them. Have I just wasted all my hours, material and money???

Titebond III is not a bad choice for this...when cured, it will not dissolve in water. Titebond II is water resistant, but not to the degree that Titebond III is. Frankly, I only use Titebond III these days.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you treat the cutting boards with mineral oil, that will make it water resistant. Just don't soak them in water. Rinse and dry off.

I have a cutting board that I made in high school shop class back in the early 1970's that was glued with common wood glue. It is still in one piece.

John

BTW - by the gallon, my Lowes does not know that the titebond 3 is different than titebond 1 so you save about $15 - tag for 1 and 3 have the same price . YMMV.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I use Titebond III over Gorilla glue. The specs on Titebond III and the reviews are very good.
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

I mix walnut oil with beeswax for the final coat on all the cutting boards I make. I also use this mixture to maintain the water resistance of the boards. 60/40 oil/wax works best for me. Mineral oil also works, I just like walnut oil better. For future projects I'd definitely use Titebond III if given a choice, but the Titebond Extend (a II) is nice for big glue-ups.