Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help to pick next history book

Help to pick next history book

Trying to figure out what my next book to read will be so I can get it ordered. Kinda into American History and U.S. Presidents right now.
    Any recommendations?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I enjoyed this one: Plain speaking: an oral biography of harry s. truman by Merle Miller
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Have you read "Team of Rivals; the Political genious of Lincoln"? Others I might recommend are:the Civil War (Shelby Foote) / Declaration (William Hogeland) / The Irregulars (Jenet Conant) / Unbroken / A Covert Affair
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 12-11-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Format
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

My son bought me the book "Washington" by Ron Chernow Extremely well researched and thousands of references to actual documents. Well written and I learned a lot about Washington and the history of our nation.

A few years ago, I read the book "Truman" by David McCullough. Another well written book.

I picked up a copy of Truman on www.half.com for less than $5.00 including shipping. A good source for books at a reasonable price.

I would recommend either of them.

Blog Entries
    I'd suggest Nimitz, by E B Potter.

PHM

The John Adams biography by David McCullough is really good. Also, I was recently recommended the book, 'Six Frigates', author unknown, it's a history of the first six ships of the US navy.

A lot of good ideas. Thanks, I will look and see what I like.
    "Truman" by David McCullough was referenced in the book I am reading now.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

KIlling Lincoln

Greetings Dave.

About 2 weeks ago I finished reading "Killing Lincoln." It was written by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. Like O'Reilly or not he does have a degree in History with multiple journalism degrees from Boston University, and Harvard. The book is historically accurate and covers the last 6 weeks in the life of Abraham Lincoln. The book is not a novel, but rather a series of chapters dealing with events leading up the the defeat and surrender of the Confederacy, the planning of the actual killing of the president, and the pursuit of John Wilkes Booth.

As an aside, when Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, Grant's only conditions of surrender was that Lee and the Confederacy lay down their weapons and go home.

Merry Christmas Dave,
    Best Regards, Ken

Blog Entries
    Jefferson's War about the Barbary Pirates. Gives you a lot of insight into how and when the mess in the Middle East really started.

+1 on "Washington" by Ron Chernow. Another I enjoyed was "The Real George Washington" by Jay Parry. Washington is by far my favorite founding father as far as presidents go, but Benjamin Franklin was a true renaissance man and the argument could be made we would not have the country we have without him. A couple favorites of mine are “The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin” by H.W. Brands and “The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin” by Gordon S. Wood.

Two outside the norm:

"A people's history of the United States" Howard Zinn
    "Lies my teacher told me: Everything your American History textbook got wrong" James Loewen

I lived outside the USofA in the early 1990's - the view is different, from here.

Read Paul Reveres Ride by David Hackett Fischer. Its one of those books thats hard to put down.

'Extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of crowds' by Charles Mackay.

I reread this periodically, it adds a touch of perspective.
    Last edited by Caspar Hauser; 12-12-2011 at 4:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    Greetings Dave.

About 2 weeks ago I finished reading "Killing Lincoln." It was written by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. Like O'Reilly or not he does have a degree in History with multiple journalism degrees from Boston University, and Harvard. The book is historically accurate and covers the last 6 weeks in the life of Abraham Lincoln. The book is not a novel, but rather a series of chapters dealing with events leading up the the defeat and surrender of the Confederacy, the planning of the actual killing of the president, and the pursuit of John Wilkes Booth.

As an aside, when Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, Grant's only conditions of surrender was that Lee and the Confederacy lay down their weapons and go home.

Merry Christmas Dave,
    I had read reviews of his book and said there are some things that are not accurate. Looks like you do not feel that way?
    - Rick Dale

Hi Dave. Per O Reilly, the book is accurate with 4 typos that have been corrected by the printer. In all cases the critics have admitted that the error was theirs, with the exception of one reviewer that refuses to admit to error.

Speaking of Presidents, Glen Beck has a new book on on George Washington. I am not a Beck fan, but I do believe he does his home work prior to writing.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.......
    Best Regards, Ken