Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dick Proenneke - Alone in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    There is apparently a move of younger couples INTO farming. For the first time in decades, they say, more and more young couples are becoming farmers.
    In this area we are seeing a LOT of young families who aren't necessarily going into farming, but are interested in being self sufficient. Lots of back yard gardens, container gardening, back to the basics of making cheese and soap, etc. I'm attending the South Georgia Growing Local conference in January. Topics include include things like

Wild Fermentation
    Perennial Crops for Food Security: What Grows in South Georgia
    Vermiculture: What Worm Castings Can Do For You

It's being held at the Vidalia Onion and Vegetable Research Center - love Vidalia Onions.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I have chickens and a every spare inch of my .09 acre lot is garden.

I always had one farm or another but after a catastropic divorce I have not had a garden for about ten years. I so miss it!

Part of the new shop/home complex will be a large garden just outside my bedroom window with a greenhouse on the nord side and a cyclone/electric fence to keep out the deer/elk/rabbitts/raccoon/etc.

I have wanted this all in one situation for a long time, but it is the garden that I am most excited about.

Larry

I truly enjoyed Alone in the Wilderness. I think Dick did say something about the bugs at one point being horrible. It was also mentioned that he would return to see his family once in awhile.

I envy the man's will and determination.

Growing up in rural northern VT, there wasn't much other than a few churches, farms and a good distance to a real store. As a kid, it may have been more work, boring at times, etc. But when I reflect back, it taught me a lot. I don't think you have to be a farmer to experience the rural life.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    I've watched the show about dick Proenneke many times on PBS and it amazes me why someone would want to live in the wilderness....almost entirely cut-off from family and civilization.
    Anti-social?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Anti-social?
    or tired of other human beings?

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Anti-social?
    he not anti-social but he did trade one social for a better social