Thread: Disturbing News

Disturbing News

I just heard the most disturbing news today from a home depot manager, I hope its just a rumor. According to him the same company that owns Ryobi tools now owns Delta/Porter Cable and Milwaukee! Apparently the bought the companies around Christmas time. So this means less and less American Tools. Is this rumor accurate? Can anyone confirm that it's not so I can go HD and call this guy liar?

Black & Decker bought PC and Milwaukee. I believe Ryobi is part of Orion.

Prior to the buyout by B&D, PC and Delta were the same company. So now B&D is the parent company. I made a comment to the Delta rep at the last show. He was on board with it as B&D had great marketing, about what I would expected to hear from a sales guy.

I just looked up the millwaukee website. Its true. They were bought out by a company called techtronic Sp?

Bob

This is from the comapny website

Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd. (TTI) purchased Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation from Atlas Copco in January, 2005.
    Bob

This is two seperate buyouts. TTI who ultimately owns Ryobi and Ridgid, and has purchased Milwaukee. This same company makes many of the products for Sears Craftsman.

Delta and Porter Cable (and I think a saw blade company..Oldham )were part of the Pentair tool group. This was all purchased by Black and Decker.

Orion, is a small company that makes equipment for Delta and Sears such as Table Saws and Jointers etc. Started by former employees of Delta.

Corey

Cool

Ah HAH, Corey! I've finally found another who has the facts straight about these two tool company sales :-)

The stock transfers aren't complete yet -- still facing the SEC final OK and other such "trivia". I do keep an eye out whenever I drive by the Biesemeyer plant (it's just up the street from me) to see if they've taken down any-or-all of the Pentair Tools Group signage. (The signs are still on the building.)

But didn't B&D also scarf up the DevilleBis (sp?) air tools unit as well from Pentair along with Delta Machinery and Porter+Cable? (Biesemeyer is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Delta Machinery, so it goes "right on along with Momma".)
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-24-2005 at 5:43 AM. Reason: Removed signature line which contained a direct link to poster's web site - a TOS Violation

Steve

My understanding is that Devilbiss was part of the sale as well.

Steve

That is quite possible Steve, not sure. It sucks to loose the US jobs, that is for sure. Hopefully, TTI will benifit from Milwaukee and use some of there knowledge in building of their other products. Bottom line... ultimately it will suck if we loose jobs and quality for all nose dives. Dewalt didn't seem to suffer to much, they still get top ratings for most of their tools. I don't go along with what some say that Dewalt is B & D with Yellow and Black paint. Their products just get to consistently good reviews. The thing I don't like about Dewalt is in their pricing... they seem to think they can get more for their product than other equally good products.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ribbing
    Ah HAH, Corey! I've finally found another who has the facts straight about these two tool company sales :-)

The stock transfers aren't complete yet -- still facing the SEC final OK and other such "trivia". I do keep an eye out whenever I drive by the Biesemeyer plant (it's just up the street from me) to see if they've taken down any-or-all of the Pentair Tools Group signage. (The signs are still on the building.)

But didn't B&D also scarf up the DevilleBis (sp?) air tools unit as well from Pentair along with Delta Machinery and Porter+Cable? (Biesemeyer is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Delta Machinery, so it goes "right on along with Momma".)
    Welcome to the Creek Steve........

B&D is already making changes, basically filling capacity at different plants. Most all of PC production moved South, but some DeWalt air products came back from Mexico. It'll be awhile until we know if the shake up was successful.

John

Let's hope quality prevails.

Lots of companies make and/or sell several different brands of products, at different price points, sometimes competing with each another. Dewalt has been a part of Black&Decker for some time. Porter Cable and Delta have been brands of the same company also. I would like to think that all of these brands, plus Milwaukee, can coexist and that we woodworkers can continue to enjoy the quality of the better brands. If jobs go overseas, that's a bummer. We do live in an international economy these days.