Thread: A Thoroughly Modern Kitchen

A Thoroughly Modern Kitchen

They were an older couple and made an apartment from the top floor of her daughter's home. They took the largest room upstairs, turned half into a living room and the other half for the kitchen. This enabled me to stand in one room and capture the other entirely. This is one of those kitchens that could be photographed entirely in a single shot. Few are like that and it's one of the reasons I have displayed on the gallery of our website.
    They had thought long and hard about what they wanted and he, having been an engineer, drew the floor plan and they told me it was to be very modern and blond in color. I'd love to take sole credit for the design of this beauty but I'm happy having gotten the job amongst three bids.
    Here is the room all prepped before installation...

As all the cabs had toe-kicks, we built our bases (2X4's), leveled them and began placing each cab in place.

My son, Brian, working on the island (notice the quarter-round glass shelves on left)

Notice the roof pitch (ceiling slant) that required we make cabs with slanted tops to which the crown molding had to be wrapped at an angle. The 'crown' was simply 'one by' material so we increased the height of the piece on the front compared to the side runs. My elder son (Russell) is contemplating something in the background.

here is the first picture after completion. you'll notice the island's counter made of contrasting strips of hardwood. You can see the stove top's highly stylized vent hood. Important to get a beauty because it was so prominent.
    Here is a shot of the island from behind. We maintained a continuous veneer for the doors and drawer fronts in a clear finished maple. All were mounted over-lay with long, thin chrome pulls.

Here you can see the left side of the kitchen and the effect the glass shelves have.

The cabinets on the far right and left are open shelved from behind, though you can barely see it (opposite the fridge). Our client is in the background. ( I interrupted her making dinner when I stopped by to photograph)

This makes a pretty master shot. The track lighting is very cool looking and if I'd had a wider lens, I could have shown the glass shelves on the right and left sides. Maybe I'll go back and photograph the kitchen again some day. Might make a nice, short video for the video page on our site.

huge gallery and videos on our site / my profile page has the site link / visit, if you'd like...

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking

Nice! Too often, modern big kitchens look inhospitable, like nobody lives there. This one looks warm and comfortable.

What are the full-height drawers to the right of the cooktop? Trash and recycling?

Do you not have the energy-efficient police yet? Kitchens here must mostly be lighted by fluorescents. Halogens are so much better.

I think this kitchen is 12' X 20'. Modern doesn't hurt it the way you mentioned. ANd Yes. Those are recycle bins.
    No. No energy police have knocked on my door yet...

I think brown color is best for kitchen. The best interior design and furniture are necessary for kitchen. Then it is giving new and pretty looks of your house because the kitchen is heart of the home. I know this is very interesting topic.

Very appealing!! The track lighting is great and the glass shelves are neat. How are they held in place?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Beautiful!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Awesome work! Where did you get the door/drawer pulls if I may ask?

Looks great, we will be starting our kitchen project soon.