Thread: North Bros 1445 disassembly

North Bros 1445 disassembly

I am trying to disassemble a North Bros 1445 and I am having difficulty. I have removed the pins but cannot get the middle spindle to come out. I would like to get the drill apart because it is pretty grimmy and dirty, The handles are in great shape so I wanted to clean up the rest and put it to use. I have a 1530 too which is great for small tasks. Could not find much on the 1445 on-line

thanks

Cleaning of hand drills

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Fuzy View Post
    I am trying to disassemble a North Bros 1445 and I am having difficulty. I have removed the pins but cannot get the middle spindle to come out. I would like to get the drill apart because it is pretty grimmy and dirty, The handles are in great shape so I wanted to clean up the rest and put it to use. I have a 1530 too which is great for small tasks. Could not find much on the 1445 on-line

thanks
    Personally, I would remove all of the wood parts and leave the mechanism assembled during cleaning. My routine is to soak it with PB Blaster for a day and then flush that with WD-40. I usually repaint the frame after checking that everything is moving ok. If you are redoing the wood you can work on it during the drying process. Reassemble and put oil in each of the small oil ports on the shafts. There will be at least three of them on that drill.

My point is that there is little to be gained from disassembly. The ratchet will either be working or not. If not, I doubt it can be made right without parts and special tools.

Cleaning of hand drills

I am trying to disassemble a North Bros 1445 and I am having difficulty. I have removed the pins but cannot get the middle spindle to come out. I would like to get the drill apart because it is pretty grimmy and dirty, The handles are in great shape so I wanted to clean up the rest and put it to use. I have a 1530 too which is great for small tasks. Could not find much on the 1445 on-line<br>
    <br>
    thanks
    <br><br>Personally, I would remove all of the wood parts and leave the mechanism assembled during cleaning. &nbsp;My routine is to soak it with PB Blaster for a day and then flush that with WD-40. &nbsp;I usually repaint the frame after checking that everything is moving ok. &nbsp;If you are redoing the wood you can work on it during the drying process. &nbsp;Reassemble and put oil in each of the small oil ports on the shafts. &nbsp;There will be at least three of them on that drill.<br><br>My point is that there is little to be gained from disassembly. &nbsp;The ratchet will either be working or not. &nbsp;If not, I doubt it can be made right without parts and special tools.

Thanks MIke,

I had it soaking in Kerosene and a lot of thick stuff came out, I wanted to grease the ball bearings for the thrust bearing and it would be easier if I could slide the shaft out. I also wanted to remove the two gears so I could paint the frame. The 1445 is the big two speed (non ratcheing) and has a different set up then the easy to disassemble 1530 with the ratching sealed mechanism. I was hoping there was a trick to the 1445. I will probably just leave it assembled and finish the restore. PB blaster is a great idea to get rid of the rest of the gunk. It will be a nice looking large drill when finished. I picked it up for only a few dollars.

thanks

thanks
    Not sure if the patent drawing will help, but I believe this is the right one (#1015235):
    http://www.google.com/patents/about?...015235&rview=1

thanks, the picture is helpful, think I will not dismantle it entirely and just clean it up as best as I can.