Thread: interesting bench build post

interesting bench build post

Hello all,

Can't post direct links to other forums as I understand it, but thought Creekers should know about a useful set of posts w/ videos by a young chap on Lumberjocks. Search "Roubo/Scandinavian Workbench".

Thanks and pardon if i've broken any rules.

Cheers,
    C

That's a cool bench. From the video where he demonstrates the vises in action it looks like he made himself some pretty nice Krenov planes as well.

Hi Christopher,

Yeah, I watched some of that build on the videos he has. Very interesting indeed, and impressive to see such work out of someone his age. I'm probably just a few years older, and after seeing him, I realized I really have to get myself in gear! haha

The search terms are not working for me. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for posting this. I looked at what I could from work and other than the leg vice on the back, this is very close to what I've been trying to work out. I was thinking of trying to build the Nyquist tail vise, but the rest is pretty close. Mine is going to mostly be Beech instead of Maple, but that's just because my top is already Beech and I've got two pretty 8/4 Beech planks. I'm practically drooling to get home and see the videos of his screw making gizmo. I've been flirting with buying the Beall and trying to upsize it. A video of someone else doing it is much better <g>. In fact I've got several 3" hard maple dowels I ordered from Beall a few years ago with all this in mind.

Zach, try typing "CartersWhittling" into Google, that bring you to the lumberjocks page.

I thought Lumberjocks was for duffers that made bandsaw boxes and religious tchotchkes with a CNC router.

My bad.

the bench is great.... Although I did notice one leg had some shims under it.... maybe just the floor is out of flat.....

But Hell yeah.... Somebody get him to showcase those planes . That jointer plane had me drooling...

I am not worthy!
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I looked at what I could from work and other than the leg vice on the back, this is very close to what I've been trying to work out. I was thinking of trying to build the Nyquist tail vise, but the rest is pretty close. Mine is going to mostly be Beech instead of Maple, but that's just because my top is already Beech and I've got two pretty 8/4 Beech planks. I'm practically drooling to get home and see the videos of his screw making gizmo. I've been flirting with buying the Beall and trying to upsize it. A video of someone else doing it is much better <g>. In fact I've got several 3" hard maple dowels I ordered from Beall a few years ago with all this in mind.
    I didn't see anything about a thread making gizmo. I only watched the first video.

If anyone else finds it, could you PM the link to me, please?

TIA,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Last night I had a dream about a thread-making gismo. It was a sort of dye device I had built with a cutter on one end and a chuck that held the wood and was attached to a piece of threaded rod that I advanced through a big threaded cylinder. The blade was on a ratchet assembly and could be tightened to cut slightly deeper on each pass. It seemed to work in my dream. I've never researched making wooden threads, so I'd be curious to see how far off I was.

I also had a dream that I was looking all over for a card scraper but they had all turned to cheap sheet metal and I couldn't sharpen them. Then I dreamed that I needed a rabbet plane with a radius sole to work on this weird curved cabinet I was making.

If you look at Carter's blog on that other forum, you'll find details and pix on cutting threads for a wooden vise screw.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Gary that helped.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)