Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip to be Square?

Hip to be Square?

With apologies to Mr. Lewis, a couple of square ones. Both out of the same piece of Spalted maple. 16" tip to tip. Different finish routine for me. Spayed on clear shellac and then several coats of lacquer. Not sure if I am a fan of it but I thought I would give it a try. Both pieces are a little under 1/4" in thickness.

All comments welcomed.

IMG_5234.JPGIMG_5238.JPGIMG_5228.JPGIMG_5237.JPG

If it's not hip, you surely have made it so. These are really nice...beautiful wood, form and finish...and the photo's are not so shabby either. I like 'em.

Looks good Toney! Great job on consistent thickness! Both bowls are winners but I find I like the one with the ogee curve on the wing best! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nicely done! I'm kinda partial to the first one... I like that uninterrupted sweep up to the corner.

Well done Toney! I like both of them. All those white spots make it look very similar to a tree I cut a little over a year ago. Some of the wood was turnable but much was past its prime.

Very classy... I have tried the square thing but always manage to have some tear out near the corner and end up rounding them a little. Nice execution.

Very nice, I love that first one!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Very nice work and that ogee is spectacular. One of my favorite shapes and you nailed it.

Toney, really great work on both of these. It is interesting to note the "picks" of each poster. I love ogee curves and I am naturally drawn to that one, but the first one has a real "style" to it - tough call! The wood is nice, but it does look like it is almost too far gone. The white spots are a tell-tale sign for me. Looks like you were able to get a good finish, however, so it must have been OK.

I got nothing but praise. Well done all around!

Really nicely done on both Toney. The form, thickness and finish look great. I like the second one with the curves.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm a fan! That's a big chuk of timber to have that close to your knuckles! That first one is my favorite,,,simple and classic. Nice work Toney!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

As a fellow square turner I have to say that "you done great!" I assume that you turned these the "honest" way, without waste wood glued on the edges that is sawed away after turning?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    As a fellow square turner I have to say that "you done great!" I assume that you turned these the "honest" way, without waste wood glued on the edges that is sawed away after turning?
    Thanks.

Yep, no cheating or help here. Turned in the square form and it was an interesting visual and auditory experience when it was spinning at 1400!!! Kind of like a propeller!!!

Great work. Those sq. plates and bowls are something else to turn. They really whirr on the lathe and just love to bust your knuckles.
    C&C WELCOME