Thread: Japanese Dovetail Chisels

Japanese Dovetail Chisels

After the holidays I'll be in the market for a set of Japanese dovetail chisels. So far what I have found are in the links listed below. If you have, used, or have seen these in person please comment. Or if you have suggestions on other sets please provide link.

Thanks

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...51&cat=1,41504
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...72&cat=1,41504
    http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13626
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

Dale - I have the set in link #2 that you've shown (the LV koyamaichi chisels). I've used them on medium hardwoods and softwoods, they are fantastic. I would recommend them to anyone. They have extremely thin edges, like you would want if you're thinking of jamming the edges into close quarters. It literally took about 3 minutes to prep each chisel, they are near laser flat and quick to sharpen on the bevel because of the delicate cross section.

I'm sure the miyanaga chisels in link #1 are also great. I have some examples of his in mortise chisels, they're also fabulous, but I think the mokume use is marginalized in dovetail chisels with a cross-section that fine, because the sharpenability of it vs. what is probably soft iron or mild steel in the koyamaichi is not that different.

In a bench chisel where there is a whole lot of backing iron (that has to be abraded on a sharpening stone), then the wrought iron backing in mokume is nice to have, but in a dovetail chisel it's relegated to art, I think. I think I may rather have something harder like mild steel, anyway, with a cross section that small.

I have one of the chisels linked below (I think it's the 6mm...). I haven't used it a lot, but it is made of some steel that takes a wicked edge (my most used chisels are the ubiquitous blue-chips and mine seem to have less than spectacular steel in them) and I love the ergonomics for the most part. Using that little bugger is what has made me realize that I really prefer a smaller chisel that balances well toward the business end rather than the bulbous handled garbage I have for most tasks. I also like that the side lands are very small (probably bigger than a proper western bevel-edge chisel, but small enough on this one to not damage dovetails). The one thing I don't like about the shape of these chisels is that they aren't very comfortable or accurate to hold by the blade with that triangular cross-section.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com//...egory_Code=TBJ

I also have a few chisels in the Link #2 you posted (koyamaichi's) and also find them to be great chisels. I pretty much feel the same way David does about them, very small edges that reach right into the corners of dovetails. The backs required very little work to get flat and the edge retention is great. They do take a bit longer for me to sharpen them than my LN's as I typically use a honing guide with a micro-bevel. These require sharpening by hand but are worth every extra second it takes.

I am sure the Tasai's posted are also amazing chisels and wouldn't hesitate with those either. But they are very pricey. Are they double the quality of chisel than the Koyamaichi chisels? I don't believe it for a second. But his chisels are highly reguarded therefore bring in a nice chunk of $. My hesitation with them is the price factor as I just can't imagine being happier with something other than my Koyamaichi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Osowski View Post
    After the holidays I'll be in the market for a set of Japanese dovetail chisels. So far what I have found are in the links listed below. If you have, used, or have seen these in person please comment. Or if you have suggestions on other sets please provide link.

Thanks

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...51&cat=1,41504
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...72&cat=1,41504
    http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13626
    #1, Nice mokume, good maker.

#2, Uncle Koyama? He makes good stuff of course. I have some chisels from Koyamaichi around here somewhere...

#3, Generally not available in Japan. No idea.

Dale, considering how 'in' to Japanese tools you are, I'd have expected you to be more aware of what's out there.

Good luck.

Stu.

I have and like shinogi from several makers including: Koyamaichi (link 2 LV), Fujihiro, Funahiro, Tasai, and several labelled but not known to me. Generally they all work fine, just fine. But a word of warning: these chisels are called "dovetail" because their bevel face matches the profile of a dove's tail, not because they're especially suited to dovetail work. A couple of Tasai speciality dovetail chisels are made for making dovetails (check out So's site, also LN makes a version in another steel), and they do work wonderfully (the "female" type look kind of like the front of the head of the Condor airplane). The "male" type shape are pretty well duplicated in Koyamaichi, and several other makers.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Tierney View Post
    Dale, considering how 'in' to Japanese tools you are, I'd have expected you to be more aware of what's out there.

Good luck.

Stu.
    Hi Stu

Saws & planes I have a good grasp on but I only have a limited amount of experience with chisels. I was hoping you would reply, I may be placing an order with you. I really like the Tasai but my budget won't allow for now. I'm aware of what is out there but I'm always interested in hearing more on what others are using and have recently seen in use by others. Feel free to send me an email with suggestions dale9091@aol.com a 6 piece set would be ideal.
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

I have a set of the dovetail chisels from Hida Tools (Masashigi Dovetail chisels). These are a bit different in that the side bevel extends all the way down the side of the chisel (no flat). They are excellent for dovetailing and take/maintain a very fine edge.
    http://www.hidatool.com/shop/shop.html

I have 3 of the models mentioned:

Tasai Females (unhooped) from Iida-Tools
    Koyamaichi Males (hooped) from Stu Tierney at toolsfromjapan.com
    Masashige Males (hooped) from Hida Tools.

and they are all fine tools. The unhooped Tasais are for paring only. The hooped ones are for chopping.

L to R

Tasai, Koyamaichi, Masashige

DSC01207.JPG

Close up Koyamaichis (L) and Masashiges (R)

DSC01208.JPG

Close up of Tasais (L), Koyamaichis (M), Masashiges (R)

DSC01209.JPG

I've actually contemplated picking a couple Masashiges but wasn't sure I'd like them. I like the fact that they have a flat spot on top of the chisel in case I need to clamp one in a honing guide to re-establish a bevel. The typical japanese dovetail chisels do not take to this procedure on the honing guides I have.

But are the side walls angled enough for bold dovetail angles? And how is the edge retention conpared to your Koyamaichi's or Tasais? They issue I have with some of the listings on Hida is that they don't always mention the steel type used on their tools they sell. Any idea what these Masashige's are?

The Masashiges are a specially designed White steel. Tasai also has a special White steel that is between White #1 and Blue #1(?). The Masashiges are have a 75* sidewall and razor thin sides. I haven't tried bold DT angles so I can't answer that question. I guess I can use the K-Is, just in case they can't handle steep angles.

Edge retention is good since I don't abuse them by whackig the crap out of them.