Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Precision table saw gloat

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    This precision model makers table saw is very rare, and has the power take off attachment for buffing or horizontal boring, when the chuck is added. I was very fortunate to find it, and it is a pleasure to use, except for cutting sheets of plywood, where it is a bit dicey.

I got it for next to nothing, from a seller unaware of it's value. Could this be the tool that gets me the coveted 'you suck'??

Rick Potter

Attachment 215965Attachment 215966
    Looks like it was made to be driven off a tractor power-take-off. Lets hook it up to my tractor and go cut some wood! We can hold it down with some screws and if they don't hold, we will have a flail!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Actually,

I've had it so long, I don't remember where I got it. Gives me chills just thinking that someone probably tried to use it. Yes, that is the blade that came with it.

Seriously, does anyone know who and when this was manufactured, and more important....Why on earth would a company produce something like this?? Hmmm, it is the old Powermatic green.

Maybe I should try to put it on the OWWM site to see if anyone knows.

Rick Potter
    1.) It was made as a gag retriement gift for an old wood worker

OR

2.) It was made for use in a steam powered mill in the back woods

OR

3.) It was made as a training tool for high school wood shop

yikes!

Oddjob, from the James Bond movie, "Goldfinger" called.

He wants it back

ByTheWay: that makes me think I'm over-thinking dust collection just a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Archambeau View Post
    Looks like it was made to be driven off a tractor power-take-off. Lets hook it up to my tractor and go cut some wood! We can hold it down with some screws and if they don't hold, we will have a flail!
    Ha- this reminds me of a story my dad likes to tell. Many years go my grandfather and some of his fellow farmers were building a barn, and using some kind of table saw-like setup to cut trees into beams. The blade was apparently huge in diameter.. like 3-4 ft.

Somehow, the blade came off while in use. Apparently it stayed upright, ran about 40-50ft across the ground, hit the barn, walked up the wall of the barn, and launched like 100+ feet in the air. The guys were standing there staring at the blade while it was airborne, somewhat mesmerized for a few seconds... until they realized that what goes up must come down!

Apparently nobody was hurt. Chances are this story has become embellished over the years, but it's a fun one nonetheless.

juicy!!!!

I don't think this was ever intended (shocking right) as a saw. the mandrel looks exactly like many grinder/buffers that would have been run by overhead line shafting. I'd think of it as the 1890 equivalent to bolting a circular saw to a piece of plywood, flipping it upside down and calling it a tablesaw.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

That is either a buffer/grinder arbor or a lineshaft hangar...

I want one! Always needed a few less fingers...

That thing would be an awesome weather vane.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I always planned to pretty it up and display it in my 'office', if I ever get it finished. Maybe I should put a sewing machine motor on it and use it as a pencil sharpener.

That is a motor pully visible under the table, and the thing sticking out the side is for a buffer pad.

Rick Potter

I almost soiled myself just looking at it,,,,,,,,,,,,
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

So have you been able to find a manual for it

My guess would be that there was some sort of cabinet around this contraption...that it wasnt meant to be used as a bolt to the table tabletop saw. Even then, it doesn't look sturdy enough to actually use... so gag gift may be the winner.

Rick, thanks for taking it off the market so some idiot doesn't ACTUALLY hook it up and use it. You are a good man.
    I drink, therefore I am.