Thread: More Pens and wish me luck!

More Pens and wish me luck!

My project for this week has been to turn a bunch of pens. My stepmother asked for some to give as gifts and I wanted to have a decent selection for her to choose from. I'll be turning a few more on Sunday since my boss has ordered some. He wants 1 for himself (he likes Kingwood with antique copper) and 1 for each of the salespeople for a total of 5.
    From left to right:Zebra wood w/gold, dyed Maple w/gold, Tulipwood w/gold, Bubinga w/gold, Bolivian Rosewood w/antique copper, Redheart w/gold, aromatic Cedar w/copper, Birdseye Maple w/antique brass, Iroko (I think) w/gold. A
    ll have a CA finish except for the Bolivian Rosewood which has a friction finish of DO, and all are buffed with Ren wax.
    2011-12-15_22-34-1.jpg
    And wish me luck on Friday. I have someone that might be interested in purchasing some of my pieces! He was at my tree trimmer friends picking up some firewood and saw some of the pieces I've given to the tree trimmers. So she gave me a call and gave me his phone number. I've got a bag packed up with an assortment of pieces and he's going to stop by my office tomorrow to take a look. Hopefully he'll see something he likes!

Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    Last edited by Kathy Marshall; 12-16-2011 at 3:01 AM.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Great looking pens, Kathy, I'm sure all the recipients will be well pleased.

And good luck with your pending sales, exciting for sure.

BTW, that hunk of wood might make a great looking pen display...........

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Nice pens and good luck with the sales opportunity!

Good luck today...go gettum!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Nice work on the variety of pens! I am surprised not to see one out of Mesquite! Best of luck with your sales today! Always a great feeling when someone likes your work enough to pay cash for it!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great looking selection Kathy, I am sure they will go over great and good luck on the other items. BTW if you don't mind me asking, what brand of kits are you using for your pens and what type of Gold?

"The best things in life are not things."

Be careful Kathy, pens are highly addicting. Good luck on your sale.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Great looking pens, Kathy!

Good luck with your sales, too!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Great looking pens Kathy and good luck on the sales.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking pens, I'll wish you good luck, but I don't think you'll need luck, just someone with some who is not blind looking at your turnings!
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Great looking pens, Kathy, I'm sure all the recipients will be well pleased.

And good luck with your pending sales, exciting for sure.

BTW, that hunk of wood might make a great looking pen display...........

Rich
    That hunk of wood started out as a display, but the holes I drilled, besides not being spaced very well, were not large or deep enough for the pens to stand up securely, but I've got plenty of other chunks that will fit the bill !
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Nice work on the variety of pens! I am surprised not to see one out of Mesquite! Best of luck with your sales today! Always a great feeling when someone likes your work enough to pay cash for it!!
    Mesquite does make nice pens but I didn't have any dry blanks, I just need to cut some strips and let them dry.

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Great looking selection Kathy, I am sure they will go over great and good luck on the other items. BTW if you don't mind me asking, what brand of kits are you using for your pens and what type of Gold?
    I get the kits from Woodturningz and they're 14k plated gold fancy. I've been using pens from those kits at my office for over a year and they've held up very well and the prices are good. I also like the copper, antique copper and antique brass and I've got some gun metal and antique gun metal on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lux View Post
    Be careful Kathy, pens are highly addicting. Good luck on your sale.
    As are hollow forms, bowls, boxes, etc, etc, etc.......

I'm sure all your good wishes helped! The guy went home with 3 of my pieces and pictures of the rest to show his wife and friends. Then one of the girls at the office had a look and saw a bottle stopper with her name on it. Then I took the pens to my stepmother's house and she wouldn't accept any as a gift and then insisted on buying all 11 of the pens I brought (I did manage to force a bowl on her as a gift). So all in all, it was a pretty darned good day!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.