Thread: Best Price

Best Price

I hope this will point me in the right direction. I'm retiring this year and my old stones are in need of retirement themselves. If you were looking for Norton or another brand where would you go for the merchandise?
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Just wanted to tell you that I misread your post and thought you said "bones" instead of "stones." Couldn't stop laughing.

Since you're retiring, I would strongly suggest taking some time to look at Stuart Tierney's website (www.toolsfromjapan.com). Stu may be the most knowledgable person in the world on sharpening stones and will always cheerfully respond to your e-mail questions with more detail than you ever thought possible. Stu also has package deals that are competitive, even with international shipping. Just make sure you have the prices show up in dollars instead of Yen.

Otherwise, it often depends on who's running a deal when you want to buy, so you can check the specialty woodworking retailers. Like many others, my personal favorite is Lee Valley. Besides their unparalleled customer service, their prices are always competitive and the combination of amazing selection and flat rate shipping works for me. Their periodic free shipping never fails to get me to place an order. All the retailers run deals periodically, so it never hurts to to check. The ones I have purchased from in the past are:

Tools For Working Wood
    Craftsman Studio
    The Best Things
    Hartvillle Tool
    Highland Woodworking
    Traditional Woordworker
    Japan Woodworker
    Woodcraft
    Rockler

You can also check Amazon, but my preference is to deal with real people.

Happy Retirement

Steve

Do the stones need replacement or flattening?

I'm a Shapton convert, myself.
    A much cheaper method involves a small granite slab and sandpaper - it works, and never develops a "dish" in the center.

I picked up my Shaptons from Bill at Craftsman Studio and his service is top-notch. From his web site you can confirm that what you want is in inventory and place the order online or by phone (as I do). I've ordered over a dozen times from Bill (including 8 L-N planes and two L-N saws, each with cocobolo handles) and each time the order was shipped that day or the next, as confirmed by the order tracking number. His is a small shop (with a good selection of inventory), so you get the one-on-one service from a real person.

If you like the coco handles, it's nice to be able to order from his stock rather than waiting 4 weeks or so for production when ordering direct from L-N.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    Just wanted to tell you that I misread your post and thought you said "bones" instead of "stones." Couldn't stop laughing.
    If you do find a source for new bones, I'm in.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler