Thread: Furniture Carving

Furniture Carving

Hello ,
    I am looking for resources (books , mags , dvds , etc...) that teach how to carve ornamentation on furniture like you see on some period pieces.
    I have some chip carving mags and articles , but they are mostly on very soft wood (bass wood). I am looking info on how to carve leaves , flowers , and other designs on legs , aprons , and doors on furniture.
    Thanks

Do a search on "Relief carving" and you will find books on this subject. I used to do this kind of carving and still do a very little of it. I learned on basswood but soon found harder woods nicer to carve. Like oak or walnut. I learned to do it with gouges and mallet. Nothing at all like chip carving though.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Jamie,
    Not sure where you are from, geographically, but look into the Society of American Period Furniture Makers (SAPFM dot org).
    There are very few books that speak to the carving directly, most are old reprints, think google, although the real problem is getting titles to search for.
    This should get you started.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

not sure if this would interest you or not....

Carving 18th Century American Furniture Elements - Tony Kubalak.

Look up some of the books by Frederick Wilbur on Amazon.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

A +1 for the recommendation of the book Carving 18th Century American Furniture Elements by Tony Kubalak.. Also if you want to carve Acanthus Leafs Mary May has a great DVD and plaster casting.. Also Nora Hall has a DVD on basic European carving Volume one, if I am remembering correctly the sample project was carving a simple flower..