Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More bowls from boards

More bowls from boards

Been experimenting with making bowls from 3/4 board stock.

They are made out of cedar, moradillo, walnut and a checkerboard one made out of maple and cherry.

Moradillo (bolivian rosewood) is a funny wood. Smells like coffee when you turn it. I could not get WOP to set up on it, it stayed gummy for days. I cleaned it off and put on a friction polish instead.

Going to do some more experimenting with some veneer glue-ups. I will post when I get some made.

C&C welcome.

Merry Christmas!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!

Nice work, Chris - the walnut would be my pick!

Looks great. What about some edge shots? Maybe showing the thickness? What was your final finish? Any reason to try the WOP first rather than a oil,wax, or standard varnish?
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill White; 12-16-2011 at 5:13 PM.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

The walnut has my vote as well. I can't even see seam lines and the grain match and pattern is great )

Great pieces. The Walnut one looks to have no lines at all.

Vote walnut too. The Moradillo is a beautiful wood and polishes out nicely. Watch out though, I had to get steroid shots because of it when I was making boxes. I don't use it any more.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Looks great. What about some edge shots? Maybe showing the thickness? What was your final finish? Any reason to try the WOP first rather than a oil,wax, or standard varnish?
    Bill
    Here are some side shots.

I like gloss poly finishes, and WOP is quick and easy to apply.

I have never tried oil or wax finishes, or varnish. I have had real good luck with polyurethane, except over oily woods like morado or cocobolo.

For the morado I used Mylands friction polish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!

Nice work and I like them all.
    C&C WELCOME

I'm liking them all as well. I think I'll glue up some boards...

Really nice bowls but I am partial to walnut.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Cool stuff... i too dig the walnut because... well... its walnut and your glue up and grain matching was great - looking on the inside, its really hard to spot the glue lines, really nice job. The colors of the Moradillo and Cedar are really appealing, thats some nice wood.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

Like the bowls, similar to what I make using a Ringmaster with very little waste.
    .PC080152.jpg
    Last edited by Robert Newton; 12-16-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Nice work. I like them all and the grain patterns are very interesting to look at.

glad to see BfromB's here. I have made so many I can't count. they were my best sellers for eons. I went thru a spell where I tried to "upgrade" the devils and make them more palatable to " died in the wool" turners. The 2nd one is my favorite. the color is wonderful. Well done.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Agreed, love the moradillo one in particular. What spectacular wood. I like that you offset the grain slightly (a look I prefer on most bowl-from-a-board pieces) but kept it close enough that the light and dark stayed together with the base on the inside.