Thread: Glue warming box?

Palos Hills, IL (southwestern suburb of Chicago)

Glue warming box?

I remember reading a couple of years ago about a makeshift glue warming box to keep in an unheated shop during cold weather. Can anyone give me some ideas on how to make one inexpensively, or point me to a thread that talks about this idea? Thank you.

I use clear not red heat lamps over the benches for big stuff. An electric blanket for smaller stuff or bring it in the house.
    I like Titebond extend glue. It works @ 40 degrees and above by Titebond's specs.

Couldn't this be done with a stryofoam "cooler" with an incandescent lightbulb pointed at the bottle?

Oh you mean to store glue in? I bring mine in the house. A box with an incandescent light bulb works. If we can still buy incandescent bulbs.

I have an old bath vanity cabinet lined with 1" foam board with a 20W bulb for heat that works for glue, finishes, etc. Plug it in in Nov. and unplug about March. Tried different bulbs until I found one that would keep temp @ about 70.

Dave

You need a porcelain light fixture, a 40-60W incandescent bulb, a 110V thermostat switch such as they sell for attic vent fans, an electrical pig tail or cord of some kind, a plywood cabinet of some sort to hold the contents you wish to keep warm, perhaps some aluminum foil to line the interior? I've seen this sort of thing in finishing books as a means to keep finishes tempered in a cold shop. You wire the light so it is turned on and of by the thermostat at the set temperature. Its a very simple idea, easy to construct. Remember not to make the interior out of anything that will burn or melt like foam insulation. Tempting, but please don't. Too flammable. I've been meaning to make one my self for some time. Not so much for glue, as mu shop doesn't freeze, and at 55 degrees the open time of titebond III is great! But for water based finish, it doesn't like to spray when cold. I actually have all the parts gathered to make the warmer except the round tuit, which is critical. and not to be over looked.

If you want to insulate it, put the insulation on the outside, not inside with the light bulb. An outer layer of aluminum coated high R board would probably work well in a very low temperature setting? Use common sense to avoid burning down your shop.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 12-16-2011 at 9:04 PM.

Styrofoam and a hot incandescent bulb isn't a good mix. I'd build a plywood box.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Oh you mean to store glue in? I bring mine in the house. A box with an incandescent light bulb works. If we can still buy incandescent bulbs.

My wife forwarded me a funny article about some German entrepreneurs who are selling "Incandescent Heating Elements" in Europe and making a killing. Apparently the EU has already banned the dreaded incandescent light bulb, and you cannot buy them in Europe. But there is no prohibition from selling them as "heaters", so they do! I see a market for this here in the USA soon.

I built one that plywood and about 2 feet tall and 2 feet wide. It has two 40 watt lights hooked up to a temp senser that turns on at 38 degrees and off at 45 degrees I think. They are sold at lowes in the plumbing section. I use two 40 watt lights to give me some redundancy but a single 60 watt light would work. The box doesn't have any insulation but that would help I'm sure. I store all my glue and other items that contain water that would freeze. IT has been working great for 3 years now but our temps only get down to mid 20's in the winter.
    Last edited by Keith Harrell; 12-16-2011 at 9:18 PM.

I took a cheap "closet box" from one of the big box stores, lined it with 1/2 inch pink Styrofoam, put a 40 watt bulb under the bottom shelf and life is good. I don't always heat my shop and this keeps paint, finishes, glue etc from freezing. Doesn't keep it really warm, but is never below freezing!

No problems so far.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I only turn the heat on in my shop when I am out there working. It doesn't get below freezing but pretty cold just the same. To make my glue and water born finishes flow better, I sometimes put them into the microwave to heat them up. I'll also use this trick to heat up the top coat of finish before spraying, this seems to allow the finish to level out better and quicker than when it is cooler. No trying to hijack the thread but does anyone see a problem this?
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

The best and easiest way is get an old refrigerator that someoneis discarding and just rig the light to stay on and there’s your heat cabinet. It’sgot shelves, a door, insulated and does not cost anything.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    The best and easiest way is get an old refrigerator that someoneis discarding and just rig the light to stay on and there’s your heat cabinet. It’sgot shelves, a door, insulated and does not cost anything.
    Go to any university at the end of a term. Look in and around the dumpsters for a dorm size refridgerator. They would be perfect
    Wood'N'Scout