Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer problem

Computer problem

I have a dell computer with XP on it with McAffee on it. I keep getting an error message that says real time scanning is off and I cannot turn it on and keep it on. I've done everything that was recommended on McAffee's site. Is this a virus or hardware problem? I've also got the so called death screen. Thanks

I do not know the answer to your question BUT I am under the spell too

Blog Entries
    I don't know the answer either, but it appears that there is lots of traffic out there on the problem. I did a Google search for "McAffee on it. I keep getting an error message that says real time scanning is off" and found lots of hits of people discussing the problem. There may be answer out there as it seems you are not alone.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I had a similar issue a couple of years ago.

The answer was to dump McAffee and download the free version of AVG

Cheers, Don

BTW - it took me the better part of half an hour to cancel my McAffee yearly automatic renewal by credit card Without my permission, sigh...
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    I had a similar issue a couple of years ago.

The answer was to dump McAffee and download the free version of AVG

Cheers, Don

BTW - it took me the better part of half an hour to cancel my McAffee yearly automatic renewal by credit card Without my permission, sigh...
    half of an hour,BOY but you are quick on the draw

LOL

Should have clarified that after years of using MacAffee it took me half an hour of jumping through hoops on their web site to cancel my subscription

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I had a similar issue a couple of years ago.The answer was to dump McAffee and download the free version of AVG Cheers, Don BTW - it took me the better part of half an hour to cancel my McAffee yearly automatic renewal by credit card Without my permission, sigh...
    I did the same. McAffee turned into a huge resource hog.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Another free anti-virus product is Microsoft Security Essentials. I prefer it to AVG.

Go to http://malwarebytes.org and download Malwarebytes. Update it and run a full scan. Going to take a while.

If it finds anything let it fix it.

I find Avira is a good AV.

+1 on the Malwarebytes. I would run it in safe mode just on the chance the nasties don't get loaded and can't hide themselves.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

LOL

Should have clarified that after years of using MacAffee it took me half an hour of jumping through hoops on their web site to cancel my subscription

Cheers, Don
    it occur to me that MaAffee try to block us from removing their softwares

Another vote for dumping McAffee. I used it for years and kept having problems with it so I dumped it. I tried the free anti-virus software but didn't like it that well so I started using the service provided by Charter, my Internet Service Provider. I have been using it for several months now and have yet to have any problem.
    David B

You might have a rootkit in there. Try running something like tdsskiller and see if it detects anything. Some of them will disable your AV programs.

Bryan, you are the winner of of the correct solution. It took several tries but it did work. I had never even heard of a rootkit before. Thanks

Back when I still had my business, we called people who used mcafee and AVG "customers." Try avast.
    Paul