Thread: Black primer not sticking to nickel finish hinges

Black primer not sticking to nickel finish hinges

It's always the apparently easy things which trick me up. A client wanted continuous hinges on a piece, black. I couldn't find a source of black piano hinges, so I figured I'd just hit some piano hinges with black metal primer. I just bought chrome hinges from my local ACE hardware store. Actually, a mixture of brass and chrome....they're getting painted, right?

To prepare the hinges, I first dipped them in high-flash naptha, and quickly wiped it off. This was to remove any sort of polish or wax the hinges may have had on them. Then I sanded with 400 grit paper. Then I wire-brushed them, trying to "floss" between the hinge barrels. I wiped the whole shebang down again with high-flash naptha.

Then I sprayed with black metal lacquer primer.....which dried, and promptly chipped when I dragged a fingernail across it. I repeated the above steps, and I'm still getting chipping on both the brass and the chrome hinges. I even tried Rust-oleum. Should I just get a manicure? I'm wondering if the problem is caused by the hinge action itself- that the barrels rubbing against each other is causing the chipping.

Another woodworker suggested I use a chemical patina accelerant to achieve the black finish. Problem is, he only had a small amount, not in it's original container, and didn't remember the name of the stuff (brain surgeons, we are).

Any tips? Thanks!

Use zinc hinges. For best results, use a lacquer thinner to clean any applied finish that might be on the hinges. Then apply gun bluing. It will turn the hinges a rustic black that won't come off. Good luck.

Triple S Chemical has concentrates that will turn just about anything black. I used some recently on a zinc plated bolt to turn it black. Took about 2 minutes.

Todd
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 12-18-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo

You can buy black piano hinge on Amazon. Grainger, too.