Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum chucking- be aware of potential problems!

Vacuum chucking- be aware of potential problems!

Vacuum chucking- be aware!
    Dear fellow woodturners:

I want to share an experience I had with vacuum chucking that was a near disaster. First of all, let me say that I have had a lot of experience with vacuum chucking. I been using vacuum on three different lathes in my shop for at least ten years with great success and very few problems.

I was just finishing up an order for three bowls and decided to use a vacuum chuck when finish turning the bottoms. As a safe practice, I routinely leave the live center against the bottom of the piece until I have removed as much waste stock as possible then start the vacuum pump and slide the tail stock away. As usual I checked the vacuum gauge first and observed -24" Hg. As soon as I removed the tail stock the piece flew off the lathe and landed about 10 feet away.

I put my finger over the inlet of the pipe that goes through the spindle and felt no vacuum or flow, but the gauge still registered -24" Hg. I pushed a long drill bit through the pipe and dislodged a mud dobber's nest and immediately attained vacuum and flow.

Amazingly, my piece wasnt damaged!

The first mistake I made is I pulled a through pipe off the shelf without checking it for blockage (I live in Florida). The second mistake I made was not turning the lathe off before removing the tail stock.

I hope some of you will benefit from my misadventure.

Don Geiger

Don - Thanks for sharing! Glad you weren't hurt and that your bowl survived!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Don,

I am glad you and your bowl are OK. I can attest to the problem with mud dobber's when I use to own my machine shop they would clog every hole in the building. It was a constant fight with them and I rarely won. Just one more thing to check to prevent a disaster. Thanks.

Alan

Don thanks for the info. Glad things turned out ok and you weren't hurt.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Glad you're both o.k., especially you, as wood grows on trees round here... and again, thanks for the warning!

Good post, Don! Glad you were not injured.

Darn, never thought of that, glad you're safe! Guess we need to "pre-op" test our vacuum systems before putting our faces over what we think it's holding. Great info, thanks.
    Bet you messed up some dirt dobber's day though.

Thanks for the tip Don!! First, glad you're ok...second...I'm getting a vacuum chuck in February so I'll be sure to make a note to "look at my patient"...not just the numbers!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I can certainly see that happening where I live. Thanks for the tip!

As has been mentioned thanks for the tip. As an electronic technician(Fire Controlman - Maintenance and operation of missile and gun fire control systems) in the Navy it was always a good idea to verify power supplies before running any kind of test or fire control equipment. A vacuum is just that, a power supply. Verification should always be done at the point of use not just at the power supply itself.

"The best things in life are not things."

Solid advice that I hope to learn from...thanks!
    I drink, therefore I am.

I had to put a reminder sign on my headstock to remind me to put the vacuum connection in the spindle before taking away the tailstock. I have lost two bowls because the vacuum reads about the same with or without the connection engaged in the spindle.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Don, thanks for your experience, and your humility in sharing it with us! I've got a vacuum system that I never made an adapter for when I upgraded to a Powermatic, and have been thinking about cleaning the dust off of it.

The mud dauber story is absolutely believable! They get into everything! I recently replaced my parents expensive Baldwin door latch, which had stopped functioning--a mud dauber nest had been the abrasive that slowly over time wore down the lock mechanism to the point that a small 3/16" pin made of brass was worn to the point of not opening the latch. I hope it didn't do any damage to your vacuum pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    Darn, never thought of that, glad you're safe! Guess we need to "pre-op" test our vacuum systems before putting our faces over what we think it's holding. Great info, thanks.
    Bet you messed up some dirt dobber's day though.
    Every time I mount up my vacuum system to use it, the first thing I do is a "pre-op' test as you mentioned. I keed a small aluminum plate handy. 1. I place it on the chuck and apply vacuum and read the vacuum level with my hand off of the plate. 2. I close the isolation valve I have between the filter and the manifold. This isolates the chuck and close plumbing. I then watch the rate of fall of the vacuum pump. The rate of vacuum decrease give me a relative rate of leakage. I will repair seals, etc. if needed. When everything is OK, I can leave the aluminum plate hanging on the vacuum chuck and it will take over 5 minutes for it to fall off. Now when I put my turning on the chuck, I know within a small area, the turning, where the leakage is and a relative feel as to how bad it is. Often, I can fix any leakage and can proceed to the fun parts. This simple, fast easy pre-op test verifies that the whole vacuum system is operting as expected.

Had one a those daubers plug up a tire inflation chuck one summer. Couldn't figure out why the tire wouldn't take air. Dang things get into everything...

Glad you weren't hurt Don...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain