Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Could you survive?

Belinda, whether or not your sewing kit is appreciated would have to be seen...you on the other hand, will always be appreciated. Didn't realize the swamp you were refering to running to was the one in my woods!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Belinda, I can grab a cold six pack, a large bottle of rum, my 357 mag...all in under a minute. What else would I need?
    Did you remember the part about making love and sitting on the porch for a spell. You won't need the 357 but the booze could come in handy for that! 8))

Quote Originally Posted by greg lindsey View Post
    I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if the "zombie " posts are here, but, I'm ready,plenty of food and water to last a year, so much ammo that if my neighbors knew they would probably be nervous, but in reality I will only need one bullet in the end. I ain't gonna be no Zombie food. :0
    Well the neighbors had no idea until today.........

Mike you are right...I completely forgot...forgive me... The 357 is for keeping everyone off my wife!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Belinda, still can't believe you don't have more views and posts with this one than Curtis does with car subs... Seemed like this one had gone so viral, you'd be pushing an all time high!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Belinda, still can't believe you don't have more views and posts with this one than Curtis does with car subs... Seemed like this one had gone so viral, you'd be pushing an all time high!
    If you took curtis' "I know I have good advice but I found a new crappy sub for cheap" posts out this thread would win
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

I am an insomniac, and this is one of the things I was mulling over last night.

I found it kind of funny that what started this thread, an electrical power outage, is something that was not even in existance not much more than a hundred years ago, and here we are so dependant on it that we question our survival. Hmmm....

And I thought it was the oil companys that had us by the short hair.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I am an insomniac, and this is one of the things I was mulling over last night.

I found it kind of funny that what started this thread, an electrical power outage, is something that was not even in existance not much more than a hundred years ago, and here we are so dependant on it that we question our survival. Hmmm....

And I thought it was the oil companys that had us by the short hair.

Larry
    Insomnia and I are well acquainted. If I sleep more than four to five hours a night I'm lucky, and that leaves lots of time for contemplating things like the theory of crustal displacement as a cause for mass exctinction, and other such flights of fancy. I don't doubt that I could survive an electrical power outage, it's those out there that are so dependent on electricity that scare me. I lived in Augusta, GA for a number of years. Once or twice a year we would have a couple of inches of snow. The grocery store insanity that followed the first weather report for snow/ice never ceased to amaze me. I just made sure I had enough wood on the porch for the wood stove. One year we had an ice storm on, or near, New Year's Eve. My husband at the time got stuck on call at the hospital. I slept in a sleeping bag on the living room floor in front of the wood stove for three nights as we had electric heat as a primary at the time and the power was out. I also cooked on the wood stove. It was fun, sort of like camping out, but it would take some getting used to long term (that's assuming I could stay in one place).

As to the question of my "housekeeping" skills, I was a victim once and the good Lord willing I will never be a victim again. I know in my heart that I could kill to protect myself or those I care about. I pray I never have to do so.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda, whether or not your sewing kit is appreciated would have to be seen...you on the other hand, will always be appreciated. Didn't realize the swamp you were refering to running to was the one in my woods!
    Mike, I'm not running to your swamp, so don't panic. Just saying that IF we ended up in the same tribe, and IF you gashed your foot, you'd be thankful for my sewing skills. On the other hand, your wife has waaay better skills for treating varmints such as yourself so I'd be completely unnecessary in the tribe.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I was ask that question my freshman year in college and my response was basically get a chaise lounge and a few gallons of Jack and watch. Strangely enough after 26 years the only difference in my answer is getting two chaises (one for my wife) and instead of Jack a dozen cases of Trappist beer.
    That's the ticket.

Although I am relatively prepared as a large city dweller, I'm not prepared for the end of civilisation, nor are most people in my opinion.

When we think of living off the land, most think of the late 19th century or early 20th century, you know, when we still had technology like steam, sailing ships, etc.

We don't have that technology any longer, and probably couldn't restart it.

I think the end of civilisation would be like the middle centuries, something we have no social memory of, and that's probably a good thing.

Nope, I'm with Van, sit back and watch the nitwits until one of them shoots me for my last beer..............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Insomnia and I are well acquainted. If I sleep more than four to five hours a night I'm lucky, and that leaves lots of time for contemplating things like the theory of crustal displacement as a cause for mass exctinction, and other such flights of fancy. I don't doubt that I could survive an electrical power outage, it's those out there that are so dependent on electricity that scare me. I lived in Augusta, GA for a number of years. Once or twice a year we would have a couple of inches of snow. The grocery store insanity that followed the first weather report for snow/ice never ceased to amaze me. I just made sure I had enough wood on the porch for the wood stove. One year we had an ice storm on, or near, New Year's Eve. My husband at the time got stuck on call at the hospital. I slept in a sleeping bag on the living room floor in front of the wood stove for three nights as we had electric heat as a primary at the time and the power was out. I also cooked on the wood stove. It was fun, sort of like camping out, but it would take some getting used to long term (that's assuming I could stay in one place).

As to the question of my "housekeeping" skills, I was a victim once and the good Lord willing I will never be a victim again. I know in my heart that I could kill to protect myself or those I care about. I pray I never have to do so.
    Belinda, I doubt that you think the way that I think but I think that if someone got hurt because I fail to protect them then it is the same as me hurting them myself

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    That's the ticket.

Although I am relatively prepared as a large city dweller, I'm not prepared for the end of civilisation, nor are most people in my opinion.

When we think of living off the land, most think of the late 19th century or early 20th century, you know, when we still had technology like steam, sailing ships, etc.

We don't have that technology any longer, and probably couldn't restart it.

I think the end of civilisation would be like the middle centuries, something we have no social memory of, and that's probably a good thing.

Nope, I'm with Van, sit back and watch the nitwits until one of them shoots me for my last beer..............Rod.

I disagree. It's not like we'll have to reinvent the wheel. As long as we have books and the ability to read them, technology (and "progress") will return. Let's just hope that it stops before anyone reads about strip malls

The Amish get by just fine off the grid.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Groups of inner city thugs, and they out number everyone else but at least 10 to one, will come and take most everything you set aside in a catastrophe. If they don't then your un prepared neighbors will. In the type of situation I think we are talking about the areas of the world that are the most civilized will suddenly become the most desperate and uncivilized. If you live in montana or out in the desert or now where in maine you will stand a much better chance but most everyone else is screwed.

Me and mine won't survive unless God decides otherwise for us. Other than that I'm not really worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post
    The Amish get by just fine off the grid.
    Agreed, but in the converse if MOST of them were dropped off in the center of times square with only their clothes and an Iphone it is unlikely they would survive any better than the average city dweller in the wilderness.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.