Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Humble Pie".........thought for the day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Humble Pie".........thought for the day

"Humble Pie" ...........tastes bitter when we first have to eat it........in the long run, it become sweetness and peace to our soul.

No matter who we are, each one of us will, in the future, or has at times in the past had to eat a bit of humble pie....our natures being what they are....[fallen] we will find solace in the fact that grace and mercy from God always "turns" us into better people...........thankfully, it works for all of us wood turners as much as anyone else.......

I am thankful for every turner who is a part of this forum, and just wanted to say so...........
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-18-2011 at 2:39 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Humble pie can be quite tasty. It goes especially well with crow...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Humble pie can be quite tasty. It goes especially well with crow...
    David,......please know, that though the other threads brought this thought to my mind.........it was something I shared, not to direct it at you or any other person..........this is for us all.........I know what crow tastes like as well, and the bitter taste of it and humble pie does "turn" out to be sweetness later on.

You have a great sense of humor..........don't lose it or misplace it.........it will always come in handy! Blessings!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

We made Beef Wellington pot pie last week and I'm making chicken pot pie tonight...might be more tasty! Crow is tough to swallow, but when you're hungry, it's not bad!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That's a good word Roger. And don't forget a good cup of coffee, or maybe sweet tea, to wash it all down.

Good sentiment, for sure.

And just to throw this in the pot, so to speak................. http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I better get in here also. A few days ago i posted a couple pics. Yes one of them had a lot of the same elements as John K's. Didn't realize it at the time that it looked as close to his as it did. After reading DD's post, i realized some folks thought it did. Well i did Send John a pm expressing my apologies for not giving him credit. Now i'll do it in public.Just to let everyone know it was not meet to be a copy.Didn't even think of him when i was turning it. Now as David K knows i do take a pic ounce in a while and steel parts of it. He has seen HIS pieces hanging on my wall.So to every one that was affended i am truely sorry.

Steve...if we all did that...no one could make a bowl with out thanking the first person to make a bowl on a lathe. Think this is tough? Try making a pen with someone elses idea...you can get banned for even thinking about it!! We make bowls...HF's, pens and stoppers. We make utillity items, Christmas stuff, and art. We are here...aren't we?...to learn from each other. Several of us have found our place in recent months...we all live in different regions...sell or give away in different places. Each piece of wood is different, each tool is different, each turner is different. I have tried to emulate some people here...some not. I like some ideas here...some I don't. Those tea pots you and the Gibson's make...I may try those someday...may not. I make better pens than most..some make better. Please...use what you learn anywhere to improve your craft!! Are we to see what one does and expected to do less? What's the point of learning and spending thousands of dollars on equipment to do the same this or the same that. We learn from others and move on! There may be some that want to ride the coat tails of others and they'll be found out sooner or later, or not. This is a hard craft...in pottery, you can start again with the same mound of clay. We get one shot at wood...that make us the best! Some bottle stopper and pastry brushes await me!
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 12-18-2011 at 6:28 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Interesting thoughts. I am not sure there is anything truly original anymore. I was recently searching the web for turnings and came across a piece very much like John's. Just much older. It caught my attention because I was planning on trying one like John's. John was even nice enough to send me his sketch. Now I am wondering what the negative of John's would look like. Gee, thanks John. Now I may go insane trying to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    ...This is a hard craft...in pottery, you can start again with the same mound of clay. We get one shot at wood...that make us the best!
    Jim,

I have never thought of our craft in these terms. Oh so many times I have wanted to "lump" it and start over!

Merry Christmas,

John
    John Altberg

As I posted in the original thread by David, when I post a turning, I do so knowing full well it could be copied or be the source of influence for someone else. I should not expect any acknowledgement of that influence, though no doubt everyone loves to see those words. I appreciate Steve's PM, and his words here, though neither were required.

All of this has been good, and if viewed in the right light, can bring us all together in a more closely knit community.

Don't know about the rest of you - but, I have some sketching to do!! Gotta get back to the lathe.

What a bummer.... I can't even sketch very good right now.. Shoot, just typing is mostly left handed.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Well Scott Bill W made mention he can use his new mini Glasers one handed! Not to late for another Christmas gift idea to the minister of finance is it?

It is nearly impossible to create a new and original shape in turning, or glass, or pottery, etc. because we will eventually find that it has been done before. I know that John K. and David D. understand that concept, as any student of design and history learns that lesson very quickly. Don't beat yourself up for "liberating" pieces of this and that, to help your perception of turning designs evolve, and practice will often assist in the evolution of your own ideas into a body of work that you can say is yours alone. Let there be peace among all my friends!

If fate hands you crows, do like the Cajuns -----------ahhh crow gumbo. pass the file yeah.--------old forester
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-19-2011 at 6:42 AM.