Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Wooden Plane Real

Is this Wooden Plane Real

My wife likes to frequent the perrenial outdoor junk sale that a local lady has on weekends. Because some friends of ours were picking her up on the way, she asked if I wanted to go. I was willing to take a break from some sanding in the shop so went along. I have seen a variety of wooden moulding planes but none quite like this one.(I am assuming thats what it is) Thought you might be interested and perhaps have some info to share. It was about 30" long with a tote that was uncomfortable even to just pick it up. All that came home with me were the pictures.
    2011-12-18_11-32-37_835.jpg2011-12-18_11-32-51_863.jpg2011-12-18_11-33-26_489.jpg

I've seen odd planes with two stocks for sashmaking and such, but this looks like something that was cobbled together to make a decorative item or something - the mouths are cut the wrong way for the "handle" - but really, I'm lost as to what could be going on.

Not sure what the previous owner of that/those plane(s) was thinking. Given its general state, it's probably ready for painting pastoral scenes on.

4. If the bodies were at some point real planes there would be marks from where the handles were removed. So the planes are either totally fabricated or coopers planes which have had a handle added. the problem with the former therory is that the cutouts for the iron and wedge look right. so I am going for the latter theory. THe handle of course I think was added later when someone decided to make a prop out of two bodies.

Looking again, the thing that confuses me is that if they were two planes cobbled together for something or other, wouldn't there be some evidence of a mortise for a proper handles on there somewhere?

This is obviously a very rare western-come-japanese tandem edge jointing plane. Commonly used to joint two boards at the same time! This is actually the first one I've ever seen, and it looks to be in great shape. (There's a reason for that)

We all need a good laugh now and again, man what could that have actually been for?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

If it was cheep enough, and beech, I would have bought it just to have beech on hand for handles, or if I could get a solid enough chunk out for a smoother plane.

At first glance I thought about a cooper's set up, and the handle was just an add on (or maybe just to lug it around). The fact that each side is cut for different style irons confused me, though.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Like Mark, I'm leaning towards something in the cooperage trades - those narrow wear bands at the tops of the toe and heel suggest it was intended to be used upside down, probably held in some kind of a rack or saddle.
    I was at a living history exhibit years ago, where an amateur cooper was making oak water buckets on what appeared to be vintage tools, and he was using a single plane about that size to match the angles. Maybe this one has been setup to do roughing and finishing in one tool, hence the one side with an single iron and the other with a chipbreaker?
    Ted
    Who really enjoys the whatzits!

Wow, there's a lot going on there. The mortises are very cleanly cut...I mean, it doesn't look like some country novice invention. Have no idea what the holes are for, and weird that only one has a mortise for the cap iron screw.

Yeah, this is a weird one. I'd check for a makers mark...I'm thinking it may be an early Merv Warner.
    It's sufficiently stout..

Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post
    Wow, there's a lot going on there. The mortises are very cleanly cut...I mean, it doesn't look like some country novice invention. Have no idea what the holes are for, and weird that only one has a mortise for the cap iron screw.

Yeah, this is a weird one. I'd check for a makers mark...I'm thinking it may be an early Merv Warner.
    I don't know, the planes are both facing the same direction, and there's still crisp detail on it

Blog Entries
    Maybe it is for pulling off a large tongue to fit in a large groove.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That's the first thing I thought until I saw the bottom. The only way that could work is if you advanced the irons out every time you made a pass until you had the irons out an inch out of the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe it is for pulling off a large tongue to fit in a large groove.

jtk

Haha, yeah, I thought of Merv when I first looked and thought they were facing opposite directions.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I don't know, the planes are both facing the same direction, and there's still crisp detail on it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post
    That's the first thing I thought until I saw the bottom. The only way that could work is if you advanced the irons out every time you made a pass until you had the irons out an inch out of the mouth.

Then it must be a fore plane...

Fore nothing conceivable by anyone who has ever worked wood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)