Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Ash Burl HF

Smile Black Ash Burl HF

At the AAW St. Paul symposium this past June, I was given a beautiful piece of Black Ash burl by Cory Norgart. Cory specializes in Black Ash burl and had a booth at the symposium where he was selling blocks, blanks, caps and slabs – all of it was some seriously good looking wood!

I roughed out the burl that he gave me and posted about it back in July. You can see that thread here: Rough Out

So, here is the finished beauty. It stands 4 ½” high x 3 Ύ” diameter and is one of the thickest HFs I have ever done! I wanted to leave the cracks natural (no fill) and did not want to lose the piece, so left it around 5/16” thick. It was sanded to 1200 grit, given several coats of gloss wipe-on poly, been buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

Black Ash Burl HF v1.jpg Black Ash Burl HF v2.jpg Black Ash Burl HF v3.jpg Black Ash Burl HF v4.jpg
    Black Ash Burl HF v5.jpg Black Ash Burl HF v6.jpg Black Ash Burl HF v7.jpg Black Ash Burl HF v8.jpg

As always your comments, critiques and opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That turned out real nice! I just love the look of black ash burl. I must have missed the line for the free burls!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I only wish it was bigger! The finish is my favorite part...it's what I call a stealth finish...you know it's there, but the wood is all you see. I use the same thing on burl pen finishes. You did an amazing job of letting the wood stand out. Hope Cory comes to San Jose...I'll be first in line!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

who could NOT like black ash burl...you did this one proud. The stance of it kinda reminds me of someone standing sharp with shoulders back...gorgeous.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

5. wow! what figure in that wood! nicely done Steve!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Such a neat little piece! Beautiful grain and color and shape!

Steve, this is a beautiful little piece and I really like how the little divot in the rim adds so much character to the piece.

very nice Steve, i like the transition from the eyes to the rays

Steve, you brought out the best of that burl!! Great little piece, and that sure is some awesome wood!

You sure did that piece justice. Nice form and finish. Incredible wood does not hurt a bit. Another great job. Thanks for showing. Russell

Sweet...thanks for sharing.
    "My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one."

Very nice Steve with a great piece of wood to boot.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Steve,

Absolutely gorgeous.

I need to do more burl hunting. Grandbabies coming Friday, maybe we can go hunting on Saturday.......

Thanks for a great idea for an outing!!!! And for sharing your talent.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

That is a beauty Steve and you sure brought out the beauty of the wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful Steve. I was going to ask if you could take a bath in it after seeing the last log you had on the AB, but then saw you posted the size. I love the satin sheen you have for the finish.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck