Thread: I dont think newbie turners should watch this video......

I dont think newbie turners should watch this video......

Check out part 2 on using an AXE . How about those GLOVES and part 3 do you think he is using a big enough drill bit.

I just dont have the words..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8qTp...eature=related
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

That's the video I watch before I turned my first pen I thought the ax worked very nicely
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

I wonder how many beers he had before the 1st time he tried the garden tools?

I think I'm going to check the Glaser site to see if they have a folding survival roughing shovel gouge...

Nope, no luck, I guess they are behind the times. Maybe Doug Thompson will beat them to it.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Man... I would love to spend a week taking lessons from that guy! May be a little unorthodox but imagine the fun!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Where am I supposed to find a cryogenically treated, powdered metal axe with sufficiently high vanadium content? Sheesh!

Although it's a little hokey, he's basically just using a giant skew.

I guess whatever works.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Once you get past the wide array of tools he uses, he actually has very good tool control and his verbal instructions are very good. I suspect the guy has been turning for a long time and probably very good at it. The edge he had on the railroad spike was impressive!

Not sure about the gloves, though - that one bothers me.

I love the "make do or do without" generation. My wifes grandfather was just like this guy and was truly amazing to work in the shop with. I grew up in construction, but I learned more about shop work and furniture making from him than anyone I had ever worked with. He was a master at "repurposing" tools to do what you needed done... and was always very safe about it.

John, I agree, the gloves scare me to death... I kept thinking that the loose finger tip was going to get snagged an yanked in between the wood and tool rest a couple of times when he was patting the spinning wood while talking...

An axe is just a skew chisel. I didn't watch much of the video but I see no reason you couldn't sharpen a garden spade and have at it. The baggy gloves are another issue all together.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"