Thread: I just sold my dewalt powershop for $50. sellers remorse.

I just sold my dewalt powershop for $50. sellers remorse.

dewalt RAS.jpg I have had it for years and I have hardly used it and certainly didn't need it. I advertised it as best offer. This is a 12 amp. model 1250 B. it has the manual break and is in very good condition. I was its second owner. it has the anti kickback bar, the wrenches for the blade and the little rubber boot for the DC. I ended up selling it to the first person who contacted me. He seemed to know a lot about it and really wanted it so i told him $50 would take it. Now I miss it. I have no idea why because I never use it but I liked having it. it was my only antique machine (cir 1966). I do like the extra room I have but I just have this nagging feeling I should have held onto it.

Did I make the right decision? I feel like I abandoned an old friend.

Watch the sale sites.
    Buy an even older one, with a round arm, instead of a square arm.

Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    dewalt RAS.jpg I have had it for years and I have hardly used it and certainly didn't need it. I advertised it as best offer. This is a 12 amp. model 1250 B. it has the manual break and is in very good condition. I was its second owner. it has the anti kickback bar, the wrenches for the blade and the little rubber boot for the DC. I ended up selling it to the first person who contacted me. He seemed to know a lot about it and really wanted it so i told him $50 would take it. Now I miss it. I have no idea why because I never use it but I liked having it. it was my only antique machine (cir 1966). I do like the extra room I have but I just have this nagging feeling I should have held onto it.

Did I make the right decision? I feel like I abandoned an old friend.
    Well Kieth, if it makes you fell any better, the guy you sold it will most likely give it a good home. Especially if he knew alot about it.

As a matter of fact, last week I picked up a 10" DeWalt RAS (1955) for $50 as well. It had everything you listed except for the blade wrench - it even came with the bill of sale. I brought it from the son of the original owner. He was sad to see it leave as well, but I assured him that I intend to fully restore it to at least new condition. It seemed to make him feel better.

This guy said he liked to restore old tools. Once he got it home he sent me a thank you email and told me it really didn't need anything. He's pretty happy and seems to be an accomplished wood worker. In reality it is better off being used and enjoyed than sitting in my shop like a collectable.

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    dewalt RAS.jpg I have had it for years and I have hardly used it and certainly didn't need it. ....... Now I miss it. I have no idea why because I never use it......... I do like the extra room I have...

Did I make the right decision?
    Yes. You know you did from your comments above. Didn't use it, didn't need it, took up space. I think you'll be fine once you put something in that space you do need and will use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Yes. You know you did from your comments above. Didn't use it, didn't need it, took up space. I think you'll be fine once you put something in that space you do need and will use.
    Bingo!

If you really to clutter up your shop with unused machinery maybe you could store some of mine so I could have a cleaner shop.............LOL.

Regards, Rod.

You know, I have a Powershop that looks a lot like your picture. I found a GWI roight after i bought it so I've never even powered in on (at least not since I got it home). I didn't even play with it much at the sellers, mostly because he was trying to tell me you had to use it like a sliding miter saw and he was scaring me to death <g>. I wonder if mine has the brake. Was that common to all Powershops?

Keith, I was in the same boat, only mine did not sell. I advertised it on our local Kijiji but had no takers. Probably my $275.00 asking price was a bit high. Thankfully it was, in hindsight. I bought the 10"Craftsman in 1978, the year after we were married. I used it to build a storage shed and the framing for our new house in '79-80. It was stored in the basement until I built the garage in 2001. Sat there until last year when I decided I needed to free up that area so I advertised. Again, no callers. Roughly a month later, my daughter and son-in -law asked me to redo the exterior steps on their 3 unit rental apartment. Wanting to allow the 4 x 4 posts to be dadoed to fit the band joist on the stair landings , I installed the dado blades and fired up the old girl for the first time in a long while. When I bolted the band joists on, I soon realized the mistake I had almost made in trying to sell. As usual, my better half replies "what were you thinking, anyway". Obvoiusly, I wasn't. Guess I'll keep a small corner in the garage reserved a little bit longer. Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    You know, I have a Powershop that looks a lot like your picture. I found a GWI roight after i bought it so I've never even powered in on (at least not since I got it home). I didn't even play with it much at the sellers, mostly because he was trying to tell me you had to use it like a sliding miter saw and he was scaring me to death <g>. I wonder if mine has the brake. Was that common to all Powershops?

From what I understand from the person who bought mine. some had an electric brake but he said the manual break was much better as the electrics usually broke. The manual is a red button that says break and you just bear down on it a bit and it frictions the saw to a stop.

"...it was my only antique machine (cir 1966)..."

Considering I'm older, that really hurts.
    I hope your IPhone rewrites all your contacts into Urdu.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    "...it was my only antique machine (cir 1966)..."

Considering I'm older, that really hurts.
    I hope your IPhone rewrites all your contacts into Urdu.
    Sorry about that. It was pretty much the same age I am but I never considered myself as an antique. I may have to reconsider my language.

Keith,

I sold mine about 4 years ago and haven't missed it at all. Hopefully your experience will be the same.

Mike

"...I hope your IPhone rewrites all your contacts into Urdu..."

LMAO!!

Yes you did the right thing as Rick said. Tools are for use, if you do not use it then what is the point of having it? If it were your father's or had some sentimental value, that would make a difference. 1966 isn't even that old, so get something really old and smaller .

Yes, you made the right decision. The best RAS's are the 700lb cast iron beasts. Now you have some shop space, go buy a long arm Delta, and you'll not miss the DW!